Magnetic flux through a rectangular loop inside a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field as a function of distance from the axis of a wire. The goal is to use this information to determine the flux through a given rectangular loop. The suggested solution is to divide the cross section of the wire into infinitesimal pieces and integrate to find the flux contribution from each piece. However, the person is looking for a more efficient approach.
D Nguyen

Homework Statement

upload_2017-4-14_11-1-44.png

Homework Equations

Magnetic flux = integral(B dot dA)
line integral(B dot ds) = (u_o)(i_enc) (Ampere's Law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how Ampere's law applies because all of the magnetic field vectors along the loop will be perpendicular to that stretch of loop. The best solution I can think of is to divide the cross section of the wire into infinitesimal pieces and see how much flux through the loop each piece contributes. However, this seem very impractical and I feel like there's a more elegant approach to the problem. Please help me figure out where to start.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-14_11-0-59.png
    upload_2017-4-14_11-0-59.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 519
  • upload_2017-4-14_11-1-25.png
    upload_2017-4-14_11-1-25.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Ampere's Law to find magnetic field as a function of y, the distance from the axis of the wire. Use this to find the flux through a strip dy of length x located at y on the given rectangular loop. Integrate.

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is the measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and its unit is measured in webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area through which it passes, and then taking the cosine of the angle between the field and the area. The formula for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A x cos(θ), where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area, and θ is the angle between the field and the area.

3. What is a rectangular loop inside a wire?

A rectangular loop inside a wire is a closed circuit made of a conductive material, such as copper, in the shape of a rectangle. It is placed inside a wire to create a magnetic field and can be used in experiments to study the effects of magnetic flux.

4. How does the magnetic flux change when a rectangular loop is inside a wire?

The magnetic flux through a rectangular loop inside a wire can change when the loop moves relative to the wire or when the magnetic field strength changes. The direction of the magnetic flux through the loop can also change depending on the orientation of the loop and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What factors can affect the magnetic flux through a rectangular loop inside a wire?

The magnetic flux through a rectangular loop inside a wire can be affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the area of the loop, the orientation of the loop, and the angle between the field and the loop. Additionally, the material and thickness of the wire can also play a role in the magnetic flux.