Magnetic Force -- Confused about the direction of the force

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with determining the direction of a magnetic field using the Fleming's left hand rule. They used the information from the top of the qs and got the magnitude correct, but the direction is giving them trouble. The student claims to have used the corkscrew rule to determine the direction, but it is not matching the expected answer. The conversation also mentions the left- and right-hand rules and their relation to three mutually perpendicular vectors.
Devs

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-29_17-45-4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi! I got the magnitude using F=qvB using information from the top of the qs. But the direction is confusing me. I used the Fleming's left hand rule but it sort of isn't giving me the right answer

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_17-45-4.png
    upload_2017-10-29_17-45-4.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 864
Physics news on Phys.org
Devs said:
isnt giving me the right answer
What IS your answer and why do you claim it is wrong ?

BvU said:
What IS your answer and why do you claim it is wrong ?

I got an outward direction while the answer says downwards/towards south.

Devs said:
I got an outward direction
That would make it parallel to the current. The left- and right-hand rules relate three vectors which are mutually at right angles.

For this I learned the corkscrew rule: which way does the corkscrew go when you turn it from ##\vec v## to ##\vec B## ?

Related to Magnetic Force -- Confused about the direction of the force

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other, and it also plays a crucial role in the behavior of electric currents and the formation of magnetic fields.

2. How is the direction of magnetic force determined?

The direction of magnetic force is determined by the relative orientation of the magnetic field and the current or moving charged particles. The force acts perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of the current or particle motion.

3. Why is the direction of magnetic force confusing?

The direction of magnetic force can be confusing because it is always perpendicular to the magnetic field and the current or particle motion. This means that the direction of the force can change depending on the orientation of these factors, making it difficult to predict or visualize.

4. How can I determine the direction of magnetic force?

To determine the direction of magnetic force, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current or particle motion, and curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. Your fingers will then indicate the direction of the magnetic force.

5. What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current or moving charged particles, and the distance between them. The force also becomes stronger when the current or particles are aligned with the magnetic field.