Magnetic Force on High Voltage Power Line: Calculate Direction & Magnitude

• Thread starter physicsed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, we are given a high voltage power line carrying a current of 110 A in a location with a .59 G magnetic field pointing 72 degrees below the horizontal. We need to find the direction and magnitude of the magnetic force on a 250-m length of wire if the current is flowing horizontally toward the east and south. Using the equation F=ILBsinX, where I=110A, B=.59x10^(-4), and L=250, we can calculate the force for both scenarios. For the current flowing towards the east, the force is -1.543 and for the current flowing towards the south, the force is 0. Therefore, the magnitude of the force is greater when the current
physicsed

Homework Statement

A high voltage power line carries a current of 110 A at a location where the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of .59 G and points to the north, 72 degrees below the horizontal. find the direction and magnitude of the magnetic force exerted on a 250-m lengh of wire if the current in the wire flows (A) horizontally toward the east (B) horizontally toward the south.

Homework Equations

F= ILB SinX

The Attempt at a Solution

I= 110A B= .59 x 10^(-4) L=250

F= (110)(250)(.59 x 10^(-4))(sin -72)
F= -1.543
Is it correct or not! i need to know the answer. can someone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should break the magnetic field into components becasue 72 degree is not the angle between ILXB.

how should i break it down?

Related to Magnetic Force on High Voltage Power Line: Calculate Direction & Magnitude

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between objects with magnetic properties.

What is high voltage power line?

High voltage power line is an electrical power transmission line that is used to transmit large amounts of electricity at high voltages. These lines typically range from 69,000 to 765,000 volts and are used to transport electricity from power plants to substations and distribution systems.

How is the direction of magnetic force on high voltage power line calculated?

The direction of magnetic force on a high voltage power line can be calculated using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then your palm will face the direction of the magnetic force.

What is the magnitude of magnetic force on high voltage power line?

The magnitude of magnetic force on a high voltage power line depends on several factors such as the current flowing through the line, the strength of the magnetic field, and the distance between the line and the magnetic field source. It can be calculated using the formula F = I x B x L, where F is the magnetic force, I is the current, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the length of the power line in the magnetic field.

Why is it important to calculate the magnetic force on high voltage power line?

Calculating the magnetic force on a high voltage power line is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the effects of magnetic fields on power transmission systems. This information is crucial for designing and maintaining safe and efficient power grids.