Find current given magnetic field

In summary, the question asks for the current that a straight 1.90 mm diameter copper wire would carry in order to "float" horizontally in air due to the Earth's magnetic field. The force equation, F = ILB, is used to solve for the current, with the force being equal to the weight of the wire and the magnetic field being perpendicular to the wire. The length of the wire is needed to solve for the current, which can be determined based on the weight of the wire.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

Suppose a straight 1.90 mm diameter copper wire could just "float" horizontally in air because of the force due to the Earth's magnetic field [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/images/boldB.gif, which is horizontal, perpendicular to the wire, and of magnitude 4 ✕ 10-5 T. What current would the wire carry?

Homework Equations

F = ILB

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like a simple question but the phrasing is a bit confusing and I'm having trouble visualizing it. So the F vector is pointing up in the k-direction because it's pushing the wire up, right? The B vector is horizontal so let's say in the i-direction, but how is it perpendicular to the wire if the wire is also floating horizontally?

So far, all I could do is rearrange the force equation to
I=F/LB

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, I believe F should be equal to Fg since the wire is floating in the air.

Ah, also I think B should be going into the page?

Last edited:
So update:

I = 9.8N/ L*(4x10^-5 T)

How am I supposed to get L?

ooohffff said:
So update:

I = 9.8N/ L*(4x10^-5 T)

How am I supposed to get L?
Where did you get 9.8N from? You're implying (whether you know it or not) that your wire has mass of 1 kg. So what's the length of 1 kg of Cu wire with diameter 1.9mm?[/QUOTE]

Related to Find current given magnetic field

1. How is magnetic field related to electric current?

Magnetic field is created by the flow of electric current. Electric current is the movement of electric charges, and when these charges move, they create a magnetic field around them.

2. How do you find the current given a known magnetic field?

To find the current, you can use the equation I = B/μ0A, where I is the current, B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability constant, and A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is tesla (T) in the SI system, but it can also be measured in gauss (G) in some systems of measurement.

4. Can the direction of current flow be determined from the magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of current flow can be determined from the magnetic field using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the magnetic field and your fingers in the direction of current flow, your palm will face the direction of the force exerted on the conductor.

5. What factors can affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field can be affected by the current flowing through the conductor, the distance from the conductor, and the permeability of the material surrounding the conductor. Additionally, the shape and size of the conductor can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.