Magnetic Gloves for scaling skyscrapers

In summary, a person is looking for a way to create electromagnets that would allow them to climb a metal building like a bug. They have calculated that a force of 6533.3 N is needed to stay connected to the building and are wondering about the electrical requirements for such a feat. Some suggestions are made, including using rubber or paper to increase friction with the building. The type of paper used can affect the behavior of the material.
Sasha Voinov
Hi!

I was wondering how I would go about solving a problem like this: (I have experience with up to multi-variable calculus and moderate level physics)

So I'm trying to see if it's plausible to create electromagnets, which fit into gloves and/or boots, that would allow a person to climb around a metal building like a bug. I'm assuming your entire system (body and gear) weighs 100 kg for the sake of this problem. I've managed to figure out that to stay connected to the building you'll need the magnet to apply a force of about 6533.3 N to the building you're on. My question is, how do I calculate, under reasonable assumptions made about the design of such items (fits in the hand, no area as large as 10 m^2 for example) the electrical requirements for such a feat (voltages, current, etc.)

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
That seems like a large force, what did you use for the coefficient of friction?

billy_joule said:
That seems like a large force, what did you use for the coefficient of friction?
Iron to iron under less-than-optimal conditions, or 0.15

I would recommend a thin layer of rubber over your magnet...

Why use electromagnets? You could use PMs with sliding pole pieces that enable or disable the external field.
Check out magnetic chucks. http://www.themagnetguide.com/magnetic-chuck.html

billy_joule said:
I would recommend a thin layer of rubber over your magnet...
Rubber is OK when it is dry. Water is a natural lubricant for rubber. Something like thin cigarette paper can be glued to the face of the magnet. It then works when wet or dry.

Baluncore said:
Rubber is OK when it is dry. Water is a natural lubricant for rubber. Something like thin cigarette paper can be glued to the face of the magnet. It then works when wet or dry.
Rice papers tear at the very mention of water IME - long time roll your own smoker

Last edited by a moderator:
billy_joule said:
Rice papers tear at the very mention of water IME
The behaviour of a material is dependent on how it is supported. When thin paper is glued to a clean chuck, the fibres attach to the chuck and not to each other. When machining “slippery” metal held in a steel chuck, a cigarette paper which is cheap, thin, and has accurate dimensions, increases friction. There are many different types of paper available.

1. What are magnetic gloves for scaling skyscrapers?

Magnetic gloves for scaling skyscrapers are specialized gloves that use powerful magnets to adhere to metal surfaces such as those found on skyscrapers. They are designed to help climbers maintain a strong grip and stability while scaling tall buildings.

2. How do magnetic gloves work?

The gloves are equipped with strong magnets that are strategically placed in the palm and fingers. When pressed against a metal surface, the magnets create a magnetic attraction that allows the wearer to stick to the surface. This provides a secure grip and allows the climber to move freely without fear of slipping or falling.

3. Are magnetic gloves safe to use?

When used properly, magnetic gloves are generally considered safe. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take proper safety precautions when using them. This includes ensuring that the gloves are securely attached to the metal surface and being aware of any potential hazards on the building.

4. Can magnetic gloves be used for other purposes?

While magnetic gloves are primarily designed for scaling skyscrapers, they can also be used for other tasks that require working at heights or on metal surfaces. Some people have found them useful for activities such as rock climbing, construction work, and even gardening.

5. What are the benefits of using magnetic gloves for scaling skyscrapers?

Using magnetic gloves for scaling skyscrapers offers several benefits, including increased safety, improved grip and stability, and the ability to work at heights without the need for additional equipment. They can also help reduce hand fatigue and improve overall efficiency for climbers.