Magnetic Pendulum Fractal Basin Boundaries in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with determining fractal basin boundaries for a magnetic pendulum in a laboratory setting. The equations and variables involved are explained, and the attempt at a solution is described as using a Do loop with NDSolve to find the endpoints for each starting coordinate. A code snippet is provided, but the solution is not yet complete. The individual is seeking help to make the code work properly.
majinsock

Homework Statement

Hey all, this is for a laboratory. I need to determine the fractal basin boundaries for a magnetic pendulum swinging chaotically about 3 other magnets underneath. I was able to plot a single path for the pendulum in Mathematica, but now I need to expand my code to determine each endpoint for each starting point. I'm thinking that a Do loop involving lists might work, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to incorporate the functions NDSolve, List and Do. I COULD do each path individually and record the results, but I really don't think that's practical.

Homework Equations

y''[t] + r y'[t] - Ʃ(Yi-y[t])/√((Xi-x[t])^2 + (Yi-y[t])^2 + d^2)^3 + c y[t] ==0

The sum is for Y1, Y2 and Y3 (and X1, X2 and X3) which are the coordinates of the magnets. The other equation for the displacement of x[t] is the same as for y[t], so I don't see the need to write it twice.

r,c,d are all constants, where r is air resistance, d is the distance between the pendulum and the sitting magnets if it were directly over it. c is the spring constant of the pendulum.

I've attached a couple notebooks so that you can see more clearly what I'm doing.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at the solution is to make a Do loop in which Mathematica uses NDSolve for each starting coordinate from {-5,-5} to {5,5} in increments of 0.1 and outputs the endpoint at around 100 seconds when the pendulum is basically circling a single magnet. I understand what I have to find out, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it work!

Attachments

• pendulum2.nb
    65.4 KB · Views: 411
  • pendulum1.nb
    74 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here's what I have so far: Do[ {X1, Y1} = {-5, -5}; {X2, Y2} = {0, 5}; {X3, Y3} = {5, -5}; eqns = {y''[t] + r y'[t] - Sum[(Yi - y[t])/Sqrt[(Xi - x[t])^2 + (Yi - y[t])^2 + d^2]^3 + c y[t] == 0, {i, 1, 3}], x''[t] + r x'[t] - Sum[(Xi - x[t])/Sqrt[(Xi - x[t])^2 + (Yi - y[t])^2 + d^2]^3 + c x[t] == 0}, {x[0], y[0]} = {0, 0}, {x'[0], y'[0]} = {xstart, ystart}, {x[100], y[100]}]; soln = NDSolve[eqns, {x[t], y[t]}, {t, 0, 100}]; {xend, yend} = {x[100], y[100]} /. soln; Print[{xstart, ystart} -> {xend, yend}], {xstart, ystart} = {xstart + 0.1, ystart + 0.1}, {xend, yend} < {5, 5}]

1. What is a magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundary?

A magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundary is a mathematical concept that describes the boundary between different basins of attraction in a magnetic pendulum system. It is a complex, self-similar pattern that emerges from the interaction between the pendulum's magnetic field and the Earth's magnetic field.

2. How does Mathematica help in studying magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundaries?

Mathematica is a powerful software program that allows scientists to visualize and analyze complex mathematical systems, such as the magnetic pendulum. It provides tools for creating interactive simulations, generating fractal patterns, and calculating basin boundaries for different parameters of the system.

3. What is the significance of studying magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundaries?

Studying magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundaries can provide insight into the behavior of chaotic systems and how they evolve over time. It can also help in understanding the role of magnetic fields in natural phenomena and can have practical applications in fields such as geophysics and meteorology.

4. Can Mathematica be used to study other fractal patterns?

Yes, Mathematica can be used to study a wide range of fractal patterns, including the famous Mandelbrot set and the Koch curve. It is a valuable tool for exploring the fascinating world of fractals and their applications in various scientific disciplines.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for studying magnetic pendulum fractal basin boundaries?

While Mathematica is a versatile and advanced software program, it does have some limitations when it comes to modeling complex systems. For example, it may not be able to handle extremely large or small values, and the accuracy of the results may depend on the chosen numerical methods and parameters. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these factors and validate their results when using Mathematica for their research.