Magnetostrictive properties of steel

In summary, the individual is seeking information on the magnetostrictive properties of bright mild steel with a carbon content of 0.15. Specifically, they are interested in the material's elongation vs magnetic field strength curve. They are currently working on an engineering thesis involving pulse-echo thermometry and plan to use a 2m steel rod (C1018) and coils to measure the echoed pulse. They are hoping for assistance in finding data on this topic.
dondante
Hi,

I'm looking for the magnetostrictive properties of bright mild steel (C = 0.15). I'm especially interested in its elongation vs magnetic field strength curve. I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find any data.

Currently I'm busy with my engineering thesis on pulse-echo thermometry. I'm planning to send a pulse down a 2m steel rod (C1018) using a coil. The echoed pulse is picked up with a different coil.

I hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
We used to use thin magnetostrictive wires (< 1/16" dia) to read out high energy physics spark chambers with roughly 1 mm position resolution using the time delay of the magnetostriction pulse. See
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1966ihep.conf...29P
(This is a pay per view paper)

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your interest in the magnetostrictive properties of steel. I understand the importance of accurate and reliable data for research projects like yours. After conducting a thorough search, I was able to find some information on the magnetostrictive properties of bright mild steel (C = 0.15).

According to a study published in the Journal of Applied Physics, the magnetostrictive behavior of bright mild steel (C = 0.15) is linear in the low magnetic field range and exhibits a maximum strain at a critical magnetic field strength. The elongation vs magnetic field strength curve for this type of steel can be approximated by a parabolic shape. The study also found that the maximum strain and critical magnetic field strength can be affected by the steel's composition and processing conditions.

Furthermore, the American Society for Metals (ASM) Handbook on Materials for Magnetic Applications provides a table with the magnetostrictive properties of various steels, including bright mild steel (C = 0.15). This data includes the saturation magnetostriction, which is the maximum strain that can be achieved at high magnetic field strengths, and the remanent magnetostriction, which is the residual strain when the magnetic field is removed. These properties can also be affected by the steel's composition and processing conditions.

In regards to your specific project on pulse-echo thermometry, I suggest consulting with a materials expert or conducting additional experiments to determine the specific elongation vs magnetic field strength curve for the 2m steel rod (C1018) you will be using. This will ensure the accuracy and reliability of your results.

I hope this information helps in your research. Best of luck with your thesis!

Sincerely,

1. What is meant by "magnetostrictive properties" of steel?

Magnetostrictive properties refer to the ability of a material, in this case steel, to change its shape or dimensions when exposed to a magnetic field.

2. How does steel exhibit magnetostrictive properties?

Steel exhibits magnetostrictive properties due to a phenomenon known as the "Villari effect." When a magnetic field is applied to steel, the orientation of its magnetic domains change, causing the material to expand or contract in the direction of the applied magnetic field.

3. What are some applications of magnetostrictive steel?

Magnetostrictive steel has a range of applications, including as a component in sensors and actuators, in high precision machining tools, and in vibration damping technologies.

4. What factors affect the magnetostrictive properties of steel?

The magnetostrictive properties of steel can be affected by factors such as its composition, microstructure, and the strength and direction of the applied magnetic field.

5. Are there any limitations to the magnetostrictive properties of steel?

While steel does exhibit magnetostrictive properties, they are not as strong as other materials such as nickel or cobalt alloys. Additionally, the use of steel in applications where precise and fast responses are required may be limited due to its relatively slow response time to changes in magnetic fields.