Magnitude and direction of magnetic field

In summary: The magnitude is always positive, but the direction can be indicated by a negative sign or using the right-hand rule. So in this case, the direction would be upward out of the page.
Biosyn

Homework Statement

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg37/scaled.php?server=37&filename=physicsh.jpg&res=medium

Homework Equations

B = [itex]\frac{μI}{2πr}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = [itex]\frac{μ(12)}{2π(0.4m)}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{μ(12)}{2π(0.1)}[/itex]

B = -1.8 x 10-5I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, am I supposed to add up the magnetic fields produced by both wires like this?

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, add up the magnetic fields produced by each wire at location A. The directions of the individual fields is determined by the right-hand-rule for currents and fields.

If you apply the right-hand-rule, what's the direction of the field produced by I1 at A? How about I2?

Biosyn said:

Homework Statement

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg37/scaled.php?server=37&filename=physicsh.jpg&res=medium

Homework Equations

B = [itex]\frac{μI}{2πr}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

B = [itex]\frac{μ(12)}{2π(0.4m)}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{μ(12)}{2π(0.1)}[/itex]

B = -1.8 x 10-5

I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly, am I supposed to add up the magnetic fields produced by both wires like this?

Thanks for helping!

Looks pretty close. But you should define your coordinate system (x,y,z directions), and be sure the signs in your equation match the coordinate system. Use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the B field at that point, based on each of the two currents (your equation should have unit vectors multiplying each of the two B-field components, so that your answer is a vector). The problem asks for a magnitude and direction of the resultant B-field.

Last edited by a moderator:
The direction of the magnetic field at point A by I1 is downward. And the direction of the magnetic field by I2 is upward.

My thoughts:
So,..since I chose the downward direction to be positive, and the answer I got was negative, that means the direction of the resultant magnetic field is upward? Thanks for the help guys!

Biosyn said:
The direction of the magnetic field at point A by I1 is downward. And the direction of the magnetic field by I2 is upward.

My thoughts:
So,..since I chose the downward direction to be positive, and the answer I got was negative, that means the direction of the resultant magnetic field is upward?

Thanks for the help guys!

The resultant does indeed point upward, since the closer wire's B-field contribution will dominate.

Why did you choose downward as positive? That's fine if you specify that in your answer, but it would be more traditional to choose (x,y,z) on the paper as (pointing East on the paper, pointing North on the paper, pointing out of the paper up at you).

berkeman said:
The resultant does indeed point upward, since the closer wire's B-field contribution will dominate.

Why did you choose downward as positive? That's fine if you specify that in your answer, but it would be more traditional to choose (x,y,z) on the paper as (pointing East on the paper, pointing North on the paper, pointing out of the paper up at you).

Would the answer still be correct if I said the magnitude was + 1.8 x 10-5 T and directed out of the page. Or does it have to be negative.

Biosyn said:
Would the answer still be correct if I said the magnitude was + 1.8 x 10-5 T and directed out of the page. Or does it have to be negative.

Yes, that would be a correct way to say it.

1. What is the definition of magnetic field?

The magnetic field is a region of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be detected.

2. How is the magnitude of magnetic field measured?

The magnitude of magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G) using a device called a magnetometer.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnet or electric current, the distance from the source, and the orientation of the magnet or current.

4. How is the direction of magnetic field determined?

The direction of magnetic field is determined by the north-south orientation of a compass needle, with the north pole pointing towards the south pole of the magnet or electric current.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the magnitude and direction of magnetic field?

Understanding the magnitude and direction of magnetic field is crucial in many industries, such as electric power generation, transportation, and medical imaging. It also plays a significant role in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS devices.