Magnitude and Phase Bode Plot Help

In summary, the conversation discussed a student's difficulty in remembering techniques for drawing a straight-line (asymptotic) magnitude (dB) and phase (degrees) Bode plot. The student shared their handwork and plots for the magnitude, but was unsure about the proper technique for the phase plot. Another user suggested a possible peak on the magnitude plot and discussed the difficulty in finding the starting point for the phase plot. The student expressed interest in seeing which method is correct.
NHLspl09
Hi all, on a current homework I have been given a transfer function and asked to draw the straight-line (asymptotic) magnitude (dB) and phase (degrees) Bode plot. I first learned Bode plots roughly a year ago, and while being on spring break and my notebook from last year is at school, I'm having difficulty remembering some techniques. I do know how to plot these when given a zero frequency, but in this specific problem, this transfer function has no zeros and has three poles. Judging from my notes from this class, I tried my best to dictate what to do for the magnitude, but was posting here to check and make sure I plotted the magnitude properly. My handwork to show the breakpoints and slopes is in Attachment 2 - Handwork, and the magnitude plot can be seen through Attachment 3 - Magnitude Plot.

My question though is for the phase plot. As seen in my handwork, I think that because the numerator is second order, it's slope should be +90°/decade, but am I supposed to include that in the phase plot because there is no zero frequency? Also, I'm a little fuzzy as to how I find out where I begin my plot in degrees - I have been taught that you begin with a slope of 0°/decade and end with a slope of 0°/decade, but how do I know where to begin my plot for phase?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Statement

(Attachment 1 - Problem)

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

(Attachment 2 - Handwork)

(Attachment 3 - Magnitude Plot)

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 585
  • Handwork.jpg
    Handwork.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 578
  • Magnitude Plot.jpg
    Magnitude Plot.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
NHLspl09 said:
Hi all, on a current homework I have been given a transfer function and asked to draw the straight-line (asymptotic) magnitude (dB) and phase (degrees) Bode plot. I first learned Bode plots roughly a year ago, and while being on spring break and my notebook from last year is at school, I'm having difficulty remembering some techniques. I do know how to plot these when given a zero frequency, but in this specific problem, this transfer function has no zeros and has three poles. Judging from my notes from this class, I tried my best to dictate what to do for the magnitude, but was posting here to check and make sure I plotted the magnitude properly. My handwork to show the breakpoints and slopes is in Attachment 2 - Handwork, and the magnitude plot can be seen through Attachment 3 - Magnitude Plot.

My question though is for the phase plot. As seen in my handwork, I think that because the numerator is second order, it's slope should be +90°/decade, but am I supposed to include that in the phase plot because there is no zero frequency? Also, I'm a little fuzzy as to how I find out where I begin my plot in degrees - I have been taught that you begin with a slope of 0°/decade and end with a slope of 0°/decade, but how do I know where to begin my plot for phase?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
Hi NHLspl09. I took a quick look at your transfer function and plot. If I'm not mistaken I think that the magnitude plot should probably peak at about 80dB in the neighborhood of 104 Hz.

The phase plot looks to be an interesting beast. Sort of a water-slide ride from 180° down to about -90° with a plateau of near zero phase shift coinciding with that of the magnitude plot. Does this sound like what you're getting?

gneill said:
Hi NHLspl09. I took a quick look at your transfer function and plot. If I'm not mistaken I think that the magnitude plot should probably peak at about 80dB in the neighborhood of 104 Hz.

The phase plot looks to be an interesting beast. Sort of a water-slide ride from 180° down to about -90° with a plateau of near zero phase shift coinciding with that of the magnitude plot. Does this sound like what you're getting?

Interesting, if you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with a peak at around 80dB around 104 Hz? I didn't think that could be possible if my break frequencies aren't within that bound of 104 Hz?

And my main problem with the phase plot is I can't remember for the life of me on how to find where I start my plot. Looking at my notes is it: j(2∏Tm)f? Although I could be entirely wrong about that.

NHLspl09 said:
Interesting, if you don't mind me asking, how did you come up with a peak at around 80dB around 104 Hz? I didn't think that could be possible if my break frequencies aren't within that bound of 104 Hz?
Well, I cheated, of course :smile: I used MathCad to plot the magnitude. You should be able to verify by plugging in the corresponding jω value for that frequency and finding the magnitude.
And my main problem with the phase plot is I can't remember for the life of me on how to find where I start my plot. Looking at my notes is it: j(2∏Tm)f? Although I could be entirely wrong about that.
I'm not sure about a rule of thumb for this; I usually just find the angle for a very low frequency far from any critical frequencies (ideally in the limit as f → 0) and begin there.

gneill said:
Well, I cheated, of course :smile: I used MathCad to plot the magnitude. You should be able to verify by plugging in the corresponding jω value for that frequency and finding the magnitude.

I'm not sure about a rule of thumb for this; I usually just find the angle for a very low frequency far from any critical frequencies (ideally in the limit as f → 0) and begin there.

Wish I could use that and call it a day :-p I'm interested to see which is correct - which yours is I'm sure because of MathCad, but using the methods my professor taught I'm interested to see what I did wrong. I suppose I'll find out tomorrow!

Related to Magnitude and Phase Bode Plot Help

1. What is a Bode plot?

A Bode plot is a graphical representation of the magnitude and phase response of a system as a function of frequency. It is used to analyze the frequency response of a system and can help identify important system characteristics such as gain, bandwidth, and stability.

2. What is the difference between magnitude and phase on a Bode plot?

The magnitude on a Bode plot represents the amount of amplification or attenuation of a signal at a specific frequency. It is typically measured in decibels (dB). The phase on a Bode plot represents the time delay between the input and output signals at a specific frequency. It is typically measured in degrees.

3. How do you interpret a Bode plot?

To interpret a Bode plot, look at the magnitude and phase responses at different frequencies. The magnitude response shows how the system amplifies or attenuates signals at different frequencies. The phase response shows the time delay between the input and output signals at different frequencies. Both can provide valuable information about the behavior of the system.

4. How do you draw a Bode plot?

To draw a Bode plot, you will need to know the transfer function of the system, which is a mathematical representation of the system's input/output relationship. Then, you can plot the magnitude and phase responses using logarithmic scales for frequency and magnitude/phase values, respectively. Alternatively, you can use software or calculators specifically designed for drawing Bode plots.

5. What are the applications of Bode plots?

Bode plots are commonly used in the fields of electrical engineering, control systems, and signal processing. They can be used to analyze and design electronic circuits, control systems, and filters. They can also be used to assess the stability and performance of systems, and to identify the frequency characteristics of a system.