Magnitude of acceleration given the orbit

In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity for a satellite in a circular orbit 3.22 × 105 m above the surface of the earth can be calculated using the formula a = MG/R^2, where M represents the mass of the Earth and R is the distance from the satellite to the center of the Earth. Remember to square the radius in the denominator.
Shadow236

Homework Statement

A satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 3.22 × 105 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

Homework Equations

a = MG/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the above formula I have trouble because I do not know the mass of the satellite. I end up with

a = M (6.67 x 10^-11)/(6.38 x 10^6 + 3.22 x 10^5)^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shadow236 said:

Homework Statement

A satellites are placed in a circular orbit that is 3.22 × 105 m above the surface of the earth. What is the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity at this distance?

Homework Equations

a = MG/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the above formula I have trouble because I do not know the mass of the satellite. I end up with

a = M (6.67 x 10^-11)/(6.38 x 10^6 + 3.22 x 10^5)

Which mass does the M in your Relevant Equation represent?

Also, be sure to not forget that the radius in the denominator must be squared.

Likes 1 person
Does it represent the mass of the earth?

EDIT: It does represent the mass of the Earth. Thank you!

Related to Magnitude of acceleration given the orbit

What is the magnitude of acceleration given the orbit?

The magnitude of acceleration given the orbit is the measure of the rate at which the velocity of an object changes as it orbits around another object. It is usually expressed in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is the magnitude of acceleration related to the orbit?

The magnitude of acceleration is directly related to the orbit as it determines the speed and direction of the object's motion. The larger the acceleration, the faster the object will move in its orbit.

What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration in an orbit?

The magnitude of acceleration in an orbit is affected by the mass of the objects involved, as well as the distance between them. The closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force and thus, the greater the acceleration.

Can the magnitude of acceleration change in an orbit?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration can change in an orbit. This can occur due to changes in the mass or distance of the objects involved, or due to external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pull from other objects.

How is the magnitude of acceleration calculated in an orbit?

The magnitude of acceleration in an orbit can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration. By knowing the mass and distance of the objects involved, the magnitude of acceleration can be calculated using the equation F=ma.