Magnitude of EMF when the armature coil is in different positions?

In summary, the textbook states that if an armature coil is placed horizontally into a horizontal magnetic field, the EMF will be at a maximum. This is because the rate of change of the magnetic flux is maximum when the coil is horizontal. The EMF can be calculated using the formulas EMF = BLV or EMF = -(N*Δϕ)/Δt.
Dreaam
I am currently studying for a Magnetism and Electricity exam coming up. I was just wondering, within the topic of Electromagnetic induction; my textbook states that if an armature coil of some sort -either from an AC or DC generator was placed horizontally into a magnetic field that is also horizontal, (so the North pole on the left and south pole on the right, meaning the magnetic field lines would be going --->), then the EMF would be at a maximum. If the coil was vertical the EMF would be a minimum. This picture may explain it better: http://www.rfcafe.com/references/El...ourses/images/electricity-navy-basics-126.jpg

I unfortunately don't understand this and there is no further explanation other than those statements. Could somebody please explain to me why the EMF would be a maximum when the armature coil is horizontal.

Relevant formulas

EMF = BLV
EMF = -(N*Δϕ)/Δt

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the rate of change of the magnetic flux is maximum when the coil is 'horizontal'. The flux itself is zero but the rate of change of flux is maximum:
flux = BA sin(wt), coil is 'horizontal' at t=0 so flux(0) = 0
but d(flux)/dt = wBAcos(wt) which is maximum at t=0 so emf = wBA at t=0.

1. What is the magnitude of EMF when the armature coil is in a vertical position?

The magnitude of EMF when the armature coil is in a vertical position is equal to the product of the magnetic flux density and the length of the coil multiplied by the velocity of the coil.

2. How does the magnitude of EMF change when the armature coil is rotated?

The magnitude of EMF changes when the armature coil is rotated due to the change in the projection of the coil's length onto the magnetic flux lines. This change in length affects the velocity of the coil, resulting in a change in the magnitude of EMF.

3. What is the effect on the magnitude of EMF when the armature coil is moved closer to or farther away from the magnetic field?

The magnitude of EMF increases when the armature coil is moved closer to the magnetic field, as the magnetic flux density increases. Conversely, the magnitude of EMF decreases when the coil is moved farther away from the magnetic field.

4. How does the number of turns in the armature coil affect the magnitude of EMF?

The magnitude of EMF is directly proportional to the number of turns in the armature coil. This means that the more turns in the coil, the higher the magnitude of EMF.

5. Can the magnitude of EMF be calculated using any other factors besides magnetic flux density, length of the coil, and velocity?

Yes, the magnitude of EMF can also be affected by the angle between the coil and the magnetic field, as well as the frequency of the rotation of the coil. However, these factors are usually considered constant in most practical applications.