Magnitude of force within thermally expanding restrained bar

In summary, to find the force developing inside a steel rod with a length of 1.55 m and a cross section of 4.52 cm^2 when its temperature is raised by 41.0 K, we use the equation F=EA(ΔL/L) where ΔL = L*α*ΔT. Converting the given values and solving for ΔL, we get a value of 7.43x10^-4m. Plugging this into the equation, we get a force of 43364 N.
AnnaWerner

Homework Statement

A steel rod with a length of l = 1.55 m and a cross section of A = 4.52 cm^2 is held fixed at the end points of the rod. What is the size of the force developing inside the steel rod when its temperature is raised by ∆T = 41.0 K? (The coefficient of linear expansion for steel is α = 1.17×10-5 1/K, the Young modulus of steel is E = 200 GPa.)

Homework Equations

F=EA(ΔL/L)
ΔL = L*α*ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, here is what I have done:
1) Convert GPa to Pa. In my case, 200 GPa = 2*(10^11)Pa. Also, convert A from cm^2 to m^2.
2) Find ΔL: L*α*ΔT (L in m, α, and ΔT in K given).
3) Apply ΔL to F = EA(delta L/L).

Thank you for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks OK. Put the numbers in and see what you get

Well, I have tried this multiple times, but my answer consistently comes out incorrect. The units are supposed to be Newtons, correct? I'm getting 105,768 N. Seems large . . .

I got ΔL =7.43x10^-4m
Then F = (2x10^11 x 7.43x10^-4 x 4.52x10^-4)/1.55 which came to 43364N
Double check your maths and mine! see if you can spot a difference.

I would like to provide a more detailed explanation of the solution to this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of thermal expansion. When a material is heated, its molecules vibrate more vigorously, causing an increase in the distance between them. This results in an overall increase in the size of the material, known as thermal expansion. The amount of expansion is dependent on the material's coefficient of linear expansion (α), which is a measure of how much the material expands per unit length for every degree of temperature change.

In this problem, we are dealing with a steel rod that is fixed at both ends. This means that it is restrained from expanding freely, and therefore, develops a force within itself as a result of thermal expansion. The magnitude of this force can be calculated using the formula F=EA(ΔL/L), where F is the force, E is the Young's modulus (a measure of the material's stiffness), A is the cross-sectional area of the rod, ΔL is the change in length of the rod due to thermal expansion, and L is the original length of the rod.

To solve this problem, we first need to convert the given values into SI units. The Young's modulus, E, is given in gigapascals (GPa), so we need to convert it to pascals (Pa). This can be done by multiplying E by 10^9. Similarly, the cross-sectional area, A, is given in square centimeters (cm^2), so we need to convert it to square meters (m^2). This can be done by dividing A by 10^4.

Next, we can calculate the change in length, ΔL, using the formula ΔL = L*α*ΔT, where L is the original length of the rod, α is the coefficient of linear expansion for steel, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Substituting the given values, we get ΔL = (1.55 m)*(1.17×10^-5 1/K)*(41.0 K) = 7.52×10^-4 m.

Finally, we can plug in all the values into the formula F=EA(ΔL/L) to calculate the force developed within the steel rod. This gives us F = (2*10^11 Pa)*(4.52*10^-4 m^2)*(7.52*10

1. What is the definition of the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar?

The magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar refers to the amount of force that is exerted on the bar due to its expansion or contraction caused by changes in temperature.

2. How is the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar calculated?

The magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar can be calculated using the equation F = αEΔT, where F is the force, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, E is the modulus of elasticity of the bar, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar?

The magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar can be affected by the material properties of the bar, such as its coefficient of thermal expansion and modulus of elasticity, as well as the change in temperature and the level of restraint on the bar.

4. How does the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar impact the structural integrity of a system?

The magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar can cause stress and strain on the bar, which can lead to deformation or failure of the bar and potentially compromise the structural integrity of the system it is a part of.

5. What are some possible solutions for mitigating the effects of the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar?

Possible solutions for mitigating the effects of the magnitude of force within a thermally expanding restrained bar include using materials with lower coefficients of thermal expansion, providing more flexibility or allowance for movement in the system, and using joints or connections that can accommodate thermal expansion and contraction.