Major in Physics, Minor in EE or take more Math?

In summary, taking more math classes will help Mike to understand the tools and language that physicists use, but he is already taking a lot of these. Mike is undecided whether or not to get a minor in Electrical Engineering. If he does get a minor, it will require him to take the lower division classes and then 5 of 6 upper division classes.
ninevolt
Hello everyone,

I am a second year physics major and I have the option of minoring in either EE or taking more math classes.

I don't really care about the titles/pieces of paper, but I would like to know which one is helpful in terms of career and physics skills. I know that taking more math classes will help me to understand the tools and language that physicists use, but I am already taking a lot of these.

>>>lower division
1st yr calculus
multivariable
differential equations
vector calculus
linear algebra

>>>upper division
partial differential equations (1st qurater)

>>>upper divisions I plan on taking:
PDE 2nd quarter
Stats and Probability
Complex Analysis (both quarters)

>>>By taking an EE minor I miss out on:
Upper division linear algebra
either elementary particles or plasma physics

and trying to get the EE minor will also increase my workload as I have to take many of the lower division classes in order to clear the pre-reqs for the upper division EE classes. I'm not sure if I can maintain my 4.0 major GPA if I'm taking 3 upper division physics/math one upper division EE class and 1 lower division EE class.I plan on getting a minor in EE because I like applying physics, and I believe that it is useful knowledge for any physics person. Furthermore, I plan on working in the industry not in academia. As of now I am debating whether or not I will try to get a PhD in physics or get a masters in EE. I do know that both are great options for working in the industry, though EE has the edge. Nonetheless, do you guys think that the EE minor will be worth the effort?

~Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you minor in Electrical Engineering? In our university, it's either that you have an EE degree oer you don't. You can't minor in it. Engineering requires full credibility doesn't it?

kramer733 said:
How do you minor in Electrical Engineering? In our university, it's either that you have an EE degree oer you don't. You can't minor in it. Engineering requires full credibility doesn't it?

Normally you would do circuits 1&2 as prereqs to Electronics 1&2 than maybe youi'd do signals and systems and logic design. My school offers 4 minors just in the mechanical engineering department.

kramer733 said:

My school has a minor in EE and you need 6 classes total to fulfill the requirements.

2 Circuit theory classes
1 Digital design class
3 classes from one concentration

Instead of asking if a minor in EE is useful, let me ask is it useful to take the following EE classes?

kramer733 said:
The minor in EE

You take the lower division classes
Intro to Digital Design
Intro to Computer Engineering
Into to Analog Design
Circuits and Systems
Components and Circuits Lab

Then you take 5 of 6 Upper divisions
Linear Systems Fundamentals
Intro to Active Circuit Design
Fundamentals of Devices and Materials
E&M
Digital Circuits
Engineering Probability and Statistics

course descriptions:
http://ucsd.edu/catalog/courses/ECE.html
Course numbers: ECE 15, 25, 30, 35, 101, 102, 103, 107, 108, 109

Thanks
~Mike

1. What is the difference between a major in Physics and a minor in Electrical Engineering?

A major in Physics focuses on the study of matter and energy, including topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. A minor in Electrical Engineering, on the other hand, provides a basic understanding of the principles and applications of electrical systems and devices. Both fields have some overlap, but a major in Physics typically has a broader scope while a minor in EE is more specialized.

2. Can I take more Math courses instead of completing a minor in EE?

Yes, it is possible to take additional Math courses instead of pursuing a minor in Electrical Engineering. This can be beneficial if you are interested in a specific area of Math that is relevant to your Physics major, such as mathematical physics or astrophysics. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that the additional Math courses will fulfill the requirements for your major.

3. How will a minor in EE complement my major in Physics?

A minor in Electrical Engineering can provide a deeper understanding of the principles and applications of electricity and electronics, which can be beneficial for certain areas of Physics such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It can also open up career opportunities in fields that require a strong background in both Physics and EE, such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and medical technology.

4. Will taking more Math courses be more beneficial than completing a minor in EE?

It depends on your career goals and interests. If you are interested in pursuing a career in a field that requires a strong background in both Physics and Math, such as theoretical physics or mathematical modeling, then taking more Math courses may be more beneficial. However, if you are interested in a career in an area that requires knowledge of both Physics and EE, then completing a minor in EE may be more advantageous.

5. Can I change my minor in EE to a major in EE after completing my Physics major?

It is possible to change your minor in EE to a major in EE after completing your Physics major, but it will likely require additional coursework and may extend your time in college. It is important to plan ahead and consult with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your academic and career goals.