Make a Monophase AC Motor Run: 3 Speeds Fan w/ Digital Logic

In summary, the conversation involves a user seeking help with a motor they obtained from a fan. They are unsure about how to make it work and what all the wires are for. The motor is a 3-speed fan with digital logic on top. The user has some experience with electrical machinery but is not sure how to start the motor from speed 0. Another user suggests hooking it back up to its original controller to test its power, but the original user is hesitant due to lack of experience. The conversation ends with the suggestion to seek help from someone else.
Phellippe Marques
Hey, everyone,

I got this motor from my fan, I am trying to run it but there are a few more wires that I was expecting. Can someone please give me some light? What are all those wires and how to make ir run.

PS: 3 speeds fan w/ digital logic on the top (taken off)
IMG_9966.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Phellippe Marques said:
Hey, everyone,

I got this motor from my fan, I am trying to run it but there are a few more wires that I was expecting. Can someone please give me some light? What are all those wires and how to make ir run.

PS: 3 speeds fan w/ digital logic on the top (taken off)View attachment 196788
Hi Phellippe,

How much experience do you have working with AC Mains powered devices and motors? What are you hoping to do with this motor?

Hey, Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any experience with motors, I just have an idea about how it works, I've already done Electrical Machinery 1 and 2.
But I really don't know how to make it start from speed 0. I opened the stator and I guess its an monophase induction motor because the rotor looks like a squirrel cage rotor.
What I am planing to do? I am not sure yet, first i need to see it working to check how powerful it is

Hi Phellippe,

Is it possible to hook the motor back up to its original controller? Set it on high speed and it will develop all the torque it's capable of (not much). Then you can tell if it will have enough for whatever projects you have in mind. But if you can't hook it back up to the controller, post a reply and I'll try to figure something else out. Most of those motors like that are pretty similar and I'm familiar with them.

Phellippe Marques said:
Hey, Thanks for your reply.
I don't have any experience with motors, I just have an idea about how it works, I've already done Electrical Machinery 1 and 2.
But I really don't know how to make it start from speed 0. I opened the stator and I guess its an monophase induction motor because the rotor looks like a squirrel cage rotor.
What I am planing to do? I am not sure yet, first i need to see it working to check how powerful it is
In general, we don't like inexperienced folks working with AC Mains projects. I need to close this thread, sorry. Perhaps @Jack of some trades can help you via PMs.

1. How does a monophase AC motor work?

A monophase AC motor uses a single phase power supply to create a rotating magnetic field, which interacts with the coils of the motor to produce motion. The direction and speed of the motor can be controlled by changing the frequency of the alternating current.

2. What is the purpose of having 3 speeds for a fan with digital logic?

Having 3 speeds allows for greater control and flexibility in the operation of the fan. The digital logic system allows for precise and efficient switching between speeds, resulting in better energy efficiency and overall performance.

3. Can a monophase AC motor be used for other applications besides fans?

Yes, monophase AC motors are commonly used in a variety of applications such as household appliances, power tools, and industrial machinery. They are also used in heating and cooling systems, pumps, and compressors.

4. What are the benefits of using a digital logic system in a monophase AC motor?

Digital logic systems provide more precise control and measurement of the motor's speed and performance. They also allow for easier integration with other electronic systems and can improve the overall efficiency and reliability of the motor.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a monophase AC motor?

If the motor is not running or is not running at the desired speed, first check the power supply and make sure it is connected properly. If the power supply is not the issue, then check the motor's connections and wiring for any loose or damaged components. If the motor still does not work, it may need to be replaced or repaired by a professional.