Making a 50% solution from Liquid Citric Acid

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilution of a 100% liquid Citric Acid with the label showing Citric Acid and Water as contents to create a 50% solution. The person is unsure about the dilution ratio and questions whether it should be 50-50 by volume or mass. It is mentioned that typically percentages indicate mass, but in the case of citric acid there may be exceptions. It is also noted that a 100% solution of citric acid is not possible and the person provides information about the solubility and concentration of a citric acid solution.
Robert Brott
I have a bottle of !00% liquid Citric Acid with the label showing Citric Acid and Water as contents. I need a 50% solution of the acid. Do I dilute this with water 50-50?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Robert Brott said:
!00% liquid Citric Acid with the label showing Citric Acid and (?) Water

Little tough to conceive of a 2 component mixture with one component being 100%; check the label a little more closely. Is it liquid? If so, it is definitely not 100%.

"50:50?" By volume? By mass? Mole fraction? Usually, percentages indicate mass. If you're playing with citric acid, you're in an area where a lot of the exceptions to the "usual" rule occur, often without rhyme or reason. Check your procedure that requires "50%" for details.

100% citric acid is solid. It is well soluble, 148 g per 100 g of water at 20°C, such solution would be around 66% w/w. I doubt the one you have is that concentrated, as it would not survive cooling without the acid crashing out from the solution (and below 20°C is quite normal in many places).

1. How do I calculate the amount of citric acid needed to make a 50% solution?

To make a 50% solution from liquid citric acid, you will need to use equal parts water and citric acid. This means that for every 1 part of citric acid, you will need 1 part of water. For example, to make 500 mL of 50% citric acid solution, you will need 250 mL of citric acid and 250 mL of water.

2. Can I use any type of water to make a 50% citric acid solution?

Yes, you can use any type of water to make a 50% citric acid solution. However, it is recommended to use distilled or deionized water to ensure the purity and consistency of the solution.

3. How do I mix the citric acid and water to make a 50% solution?

To make a 50% citric acid solution, simply mix equal parts of citric acid and water in a clean and dry container. Stir the mixture until the citric acid is completely dissolved in the water. It is important to use a clean container to avoid contamination.

4. Can I adjust the concentration of the citric acid solution?

Yes, you can adjust the concentration of the citric acid solution by adding more or less water. For example, if you want a higher concentration, you can use less water and more citric acid. Just remember to maintain the 1:1 ratio of water to citric acid to ensure a 50% solution.

5. How should I store the 50% citric acid solution?

The 50% citric acid solution should be stored in a clean, dry, and tightly sealed container. It is recommended to label the container with the date and concentration of the solution. Store the solution in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.