Making a Compact Bicycle with Powder Clutches

In summary, The conversation discusses a project involving a compact bicycle using powder clutches and a main goal of reducing the use of shafts. The individual shares their initial idea of using a torque sensor, harmonic drive, and pulley on the same shaft, but due to the size of the harmonic and other components, they ended up with a different design. They then ask if it is possible to connect the input shaft pulley to the output shaft pulley without adding another shaft, and inquire about possible solutions for this issue. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to move the torque sensor to the other side of the same shaft as a potential solution.
jeremyjong
Hi there. I have a project I am working on now which is kind of like a bicycle which uses powder clutches.

The main goal is to make the whole thing compact by reducing the use of shafts.

My initial idea of part of the mechanism is in the picture below.
attachment.php?attachmentid=70671&stc=1&d=1403079368.png

I was planning on putting the torque sensor, harmonic drive and pulley all on the same shaft.

But with the sizes of the harmonic and all (coupling and the others) , I ended up with this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70672&stc=1&d=1403079368.png

&...Back to the question.

Is it possible to connect the pulley on the input shaft(that ended up on the far right)

to the output shaft pulley(that is statically situated in the middle?)

I know I could add another shaft and use another pulley to connect the two, but I prefer not to

as that would end up with a another shaft and making the size larger.

Is there any possible ways that might make this possible?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 図2.png
    図2.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 468
  • 図3.png
    図3.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 447
Engineering news on Phys.org
would it help if you moved the torque sensor to the other side of the same shaft?

1. What are powder clutches and how do they work?

Powder clutches are mechanical devices that use fine metallic powder to transmit torque between two rotating shafts. When a current is applied to the clutch, the powder particles become magnetized and create a solid connection between the two shafts, allowing torque to be transmitted. When the current is removed, the powder becomes demagnetized and the connection is broken, allowing for precise control over the amount of torque being transmitted.

2. What are the benefits of using powder clutches in a compact bicycle?

Using powder clutches in a compact bicycle has several benefits. Firstly, they are highly efficient and provide smooth and precise control over torque, making them ideal for use in small and lightweight vehicles like bicycles. Additionally, powder clutches are also compact and lightweight themselves, which is important for maintaining the overall weight and size of a compact bicycle.

3. How is a compact bicycle with powder clutches different from a traditional bicycle?

A compact bicycle with powder clutches differs from a traditional bicycle in the way it transmits power from the rider to the wheels. Traditional bicycles use a chain and sprocket system, while a compact bicycle with powder clutches uses a direct drive system. This results in a more efficient use of energy and a smoother riding experience.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using powder clutches in a compact bicycle?

While powder clutches have many advantages, there are also some drawbacks to using them in a compact bicycle. One potential issue is that they can be more expensive to manufacture compared to traditional chain and sprocket systems. Additionally, powder clutches may also require more maintenance and have a shorter lifespan compared to traditional components.

5. How can I determine if a compact bicycle with powder clutches is right for me?

The best way to determine if a compact bicycle with powder clutches is right for you is to test ride one. This will allow you to experience the benefits and drawbacks firsthand and make an informed decision. Additionally, considering your specific needs and preferences, such as the terrain you will be riding on and your budget, can also help in making a decision.