Number of Teeth for Planetary Gear Train Question

In summary, Stephen says that the number of teeth in the ring gear has to equal R = 2P + S, where P is the number of teeth in the planet gears and S is the number of teeth of the sun gear.
StephenD420
Hello all:

I have a quick question concerning a variation of a planetary gear train I am working on.
If I want a sun gear and then two planetary gears in between the sun and ring gear (like is shown in the attached picture), how do I find the number of teeth for the ring gear? Would the number of teeth still follow the formula R = 2P + S ?
Or would more gear teeth need to be added, and if so how many?

Example:
If the sun gear has say 94 teeth and the planetary gears have just 4 teeth would the ring gear have 102 teeth? or 104 teeth or some other number of teeth?

Thank you guys so much for the help.
Stephen

Attachments

• GearPic.jpg
    GearPic.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 989
Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never seen a ring gear that was not round.

Any of the gears can have any number of teeth within the physical constraints of your application. I start with the desired gear ratio. Then I decide if I want to fix the ring or the planet carrier. Then I work backwards to see how many teeth I need, making sure that I remain within the stress limits of the material. Then I start looking at lubrication and cooling. Lastly, I check vibrational modes and fatigue. All such designs are iterative, and at any point in this process I may find a reason to stop and start another iteration. Pratt is just now selling their first geared turbofan engine after 15 years of iterations. That was a very difficult gear design and they seem to have finally succeeded after many have failed over the last 4 or 5 decades.

But I have read that the number of teeth in the ring gear has to equal R = 2P + S where P is the number of teeth in the planet gears and S is the number of teeth of the sun gear. Is this not true?

And yes the gears are circular just my drawing skills in paint leaves much to be desired.

Stephen

That may be true. I seem to remember something like that from my training many decades ago. It was derived from the basic geometric relations that enable the gears to mesh correctly. But your application is not the common one. You have an extra planet. So I would not use any standard derived formula unless I went thru the derivation again to make sure it applied to this specific case. But then by the time I did that, I could have the design substantially complete. That is what I meant when I said they could have any number within the physical constraints of your application.

I'll go back and check my notes to see what else might apply to your example.

Last edited:
Using the equations from http://blog.makezine.com/2010/06/28/make-your-own-gears/

I found that using 40 teeth for the sun gear, 18 teeth for the planet gears and 80 teeth for the ring gear gives the following outer diameter values in inches using a diametrical pitch of 8.835729338

sun gear: 4.753427634
planet gears: 2.263536968
ring gear: 9.280501571

so adding 2* outer diameter of P + outer diameter of S gives 9.280501571 which would be the outer diameter of the ring gear, thus adding the outer diameter of the sun gear and the two planet gears gives the outer diameter of the ring gear.
so I believe that this is correct, right?
So it seems you use 2P + S, where here P is the number of teeth of planetary gears and S is the number of teeth of the sun gear, and then add 4 to this to get the number of teeth for the ring gear. Does this sound right?

Thanks for the help.
Stephen

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the number of teeth for a planetary gear train?

The number of teeth for a planetary gear train is determined by the gear ratio, which is the ratio of the number of teeth on the input gear to the number of teeth on the output gear. The gear ratio can be calculated by dividing the number of teeth on the output gear by the number of teeth on the input gear.

2. What is the purpose of a planetary gear train?

A planetary gear train is used to transfer power from one rotating component to another with a specific gear ratio. It is commonly used in gearboxes and transmissions in vehicles to change the speed and torque of the engine.

3. How does the number of teeth affect the performance of a planetary gear train?

The number of teeth on the gears in a planetary gear train affects the gear ratio, which in turn affects the speed and torque of the output. A higher number of teeth on the input gear compared to the output gear will result in a higher gear ratio, causing the output to rotate at a slower speed but with more torque. A lower number of teeth on the input gear compared to the output gear will result in a lower gear ratio, causing the output to rotate at a faster speed but with less torque.

4. Can the number of teeth be changed in a planetary gear train?

Yes, the number of teeth can be changed in a planetary gear train. This can be done by replacing one or more gears with different sized gears to achieve a desired gear ratio. However, changing the number of teeth can also affect the overall size and design of the gear train, so it should be carefully considered before making any modifications.

5. What are the advantages of using a planetary gear train?

One of the main advantages of a planetary gear train is its compact size and high gear ratio capabilities. It also has the ability to distribute torque evenly among multiple gears, resulting in smoother and more efficient power transfer. Additionally, the use of multiple gears in a planetary gear train allows for a greater range of gear ratios compared to other types of gear trains.