Making a simple animated cartoon

• Thread starter julian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animated
In summary, there are various online software options for creating simple animated cartoons, such as Animaker, Renderforest, and Pixteller. Additionally, PowerPoint can be used to create motion paths for animations and Blender 2.91 has a 2D animation tool that can be used to create smooth motion and render animations for free. It may take some trial and error to find the best method for conveying a specific message, but it is possible to create animations programmatically or manually.
julian
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
What would be the easiest way of making a really simple animated cartoon.
In fig a there are 28 polos (mint sweets) on a table. In fig b two of the polos have moved from the table to the person's mouth. In fig c the two polos have been swallowed and are now in the person's stomach. My question is there an easy way of turning this into a simple animated cartoon with online software?

fig a.jpg

fig b.jpg

fig c.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
As an aside, VOX did this video on the history of early animation:

Likes Drakkith
Thanks @jedishrfu. I was wondering in particular if there is software where I can start with my drawing and then take an individual polo and simply drag it along a path from one position to another, creating a sequence of frames, and then for the software to then render it as a smooth motion. I shall explore! But if somebody already knows of software that can do what I want that would be good.

If you want to minimize the number of frames you want to draw, you can draw a comet tail or fitt lines behind the moving polo. With that you ought to need maybe six frames to get the polo into the mouth. The tails will need to accurately show the unseen path from one frame to the next, and look ethereal enough to not be mistaken for something real in the scene. But it is doable.

But the best advice is to keep trying different things and decide for yourself what works. Don't get discouraged if your first four attempts come out confusing. And be sure to check if other people understand what you are trying to convey with you animation.

Likes julian
Blender 2.91 has a 2 D animation tool that can be used for this. It just took me a little bit of time to do a quick example.
test1.gif

Drew a rough table and figure
Created new grease pencil object to draw the simple "polo' on the table.( you need a new one so you can select it as a separate object in the next step)
Go from "draw" to "object" mode.
Select the polo. press "i", and choose location in the drop down menu ( this assigns the polo to this position for the first frame.
Go down to the timeline bar, move the slider to the frame number in which you want the polo to reach the mouth. (24 frames/sec) With the polo still selected, press "g". You can now move the polo around with your mouse.
Position it in the mouth, and press "i" and choose location again.
If you move the time bar back to the beginning and hit play, you will see the polo move from table to mouth.
I repeated this for the polo, advancing a few frames, putting it into the back for the throat, and then from there to the stomach.
This can then be rendered directly as an animation or as a series on images that can be assembled into an animation.
The good thing is, for as powerful as it is, Blender is totally free.

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, Ibix and 3 others
I thought he might have to do a gif animation or use gdi graphics.

Janus said:
Blender 2.91 has a 2 D animation tool that can be used for this. It just took me a little bit of time to do a quick example.
View attachment 275701
Drew a rough table and figure
Created new grease pencil object to draw the simple "polo' on the table.( you need a new one so you can select it as a separate object in the next step)
Go from "draw" to "object" mode.
Select the polo. press "i", and choose location in the drop down menu ( this assigns the polo to this position for the first frame.
Go down to the timeline bar, move the slider to the frame number in which you want the polo to reach the mouth. (24 frames/sec) With the polo still selected, press "g". You can now move the polo around with your mouse.
Position it in the mouth, and press "i" and choose location again.
If you move the time bar back to the beginning and hit play, you will see the polo move from table to mouth.
I repeated this for the polo, advancing a few frames, putting it into the back for the throat, and then from there to the stomach.
This can then be rendered directly as an animation or as a series on images that can be assembled into an animation.
The good thing is, for as powerful as it is, Blender is totally free.
This is just what I need! Thanks so much!

Likes BillTre

What is the process for making a simple animated cartoon?

The process for making a simple animated cartoon typically involves several steps. First, the concept and storyline are developed. Then, the characters and backgrounds are designed. Next, the storyboard is created to plan out the scenes and action. After that, the animation is created using traditional hand-drawn techniques or computer software. Finally, the sound effects and music are added to complete the cartoon.

What materials and tools are needed to make a simple animated cartoon?

The materials and tools needed for making a simple animated cartoon can vary depending on the chosen method of animation. For traditional hand-drawn animation, you will need paper, pencils, erasers, and colored pencils or markers. For computer animation, you will need a computer with animation software and a drawing tablet. Other tools that may be helpful include a light table, camera, and editing software.

How long does it take to make a simple animated cartoon?

The time it takes to make a simple animated cartoon can vary greatly depending on the length and complexity of the cartoon, as well as the chosen method of animation. A short hand-drawn animation can take several weeks to complete, while a longer computer-generated animation may take several months.

What skills are needed to make a simple animated cartoon?

To make a simple animated cartoon, you will need a combination of creative and technical skills. These include drawing and design skills, storytelling and narrative skills, and knowledge of animation techniques and software. Attention to detail, patience, and the ability to work collaboratively are also important skills for creating a successful animated cartoon.

What are some tips for making a simple animated cartoon?

Some tips for making a simple animated cartoon include starting with a strong concept and storyline, keeping the animation simple and easy to follow, and paying attention to timing and pacing. It is also important to stay organized and plan out the animation in advance, as well as seeking feedback and making adjustments as needed. Above all, have fun and let your creativity shine through in your cartoon!