Making Flux Negative in a Constant Vector Field Help

In summary, the student is trying to determine if a, b, and c are all less than or equal to zero in order to find the surface integral to be zero.
emzee1

Homework Statement

I know I posted a question yesterday also, but this homework is getting on my nerves. My prof isn't the best out there. So basically the question is as follows:

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/8130/problem6.png

Homework Equations

Not sure, I sort of answered the questions with guessing/intuition

The Attempt at a Solution

Guessed on the attempt, I know 1 is correct but not sure which one. Any help on this is much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are several ways to do this.
  1. Relate this surface flux to the flat surface flux in the x-y plane, using divergence theorem
  2. If this vector field is a curl, globally, than you can use any surface with the same boundary curve
  3. Intuitively, won't any y-component have to travel symmetrically in and out?
  4. You could calculate it in spherical coordinates (or any coordinates maybe?).

Pick one and tell us what you think.

Last edited:
Since a, b ,c are constants, shouldn't div F = (∂a/∂x)i + (∂b/∂y)i + (∂c/∂z)k = 0 and by Divergence theorem, the surface integral = 0 ?

You say "1 is correct". I don't see any "1" and your graphic looks like default choices for a,b, and c. Apparently you can choose drop down menus for the three constants and I suppose the choices are <, >, and =. It doesn't look like any choices have been made, unless you think the answer is all three constants are negative.

Here's what I would suggest. Close the surface by adding the circular disk in the xy plane along the bottom of the hemisphere. Call that surface B. Suppose for the moment that we consider the closed surface ##S\cup B## directed outward. You could apply the divergence theorem to that:$$
\iint _S\vec F\cdot d\vec S +\iint_B \vec F\cdot d\vec S = \iiint_V\nabla\cdot \vec F dV
=0$$since ##\vec F\ ##is a constant vector. This tells you$$
\iint _S\vec F \cdot d\vec S = -\iint_B \vec F \cdot d\vec S =
-\iint_B \vec F \cdot (-\hat k) dydx=\iint_B \vec F \cdot (\hat k) dydx$$Now, remembering that this discussion was for the outward normal, which, for ##S## would be directed upwards. Taking that into account, what can you conclude about ##\vec F\ ## if the result is supposed to be negative?

Note: I was away for lunch while I was typing this and when I got back I see others have already responded so there may be some duplication of effort here.

Last edited:
So, basically, at the end am I just looking at the dot product of F and the vector [0,0,1]?

If that is the case from what I've read in the posts above, wouldn't just the z-component (which is C) have to be less than zero, while the others are just less than or equal to zero?

emzee1 said:
So, basically, at the end am I just looking at the dot product of F and the vector [0,0,1]?

If that is the case from what I've read in the posts above, wouldn't just the z-component (which is C) have to be less than zero, while the others are just less than or equal to zero?

How do you justify your claim that ##a## and ##b## are ##\le 0##? And are you sure that ##c## isn't greater than 0?

My main reasoning behind that was since it's a dot product between F and <0,0,1>, technically a and b can be anything, but doesn't c have to be less than 0 to make the integrand negative?

emzee1 said:
My main reasoning behind that was since it's a dot product between F and <0,0,1>... doesn't c have to be less than 0 to make the integrand negative?

the surface is oriented downward

So the exact opposite of what I just said?

emzee1 said:
So the exact opposite of what I just said?

the exact opposite is...?

a and b be anything and c be greater than zero?

1. How can I make the flux negative in a constant vector field?

Making the flux negative in a constant vector field can be achieved by reversing the direction of the vector field. This can be done by multiplying the vector field by -1.

2. Why would I want to make the flux negative in a constant vector field?

Making the flux negative in a constant vector field can be useful in situations where you want to show the opposite direction of the flow or motion. It can also help to balance out the overall flux in a system.

3. Is it possible to make the flux negative in a non-constant vector field?

Yes, it is possible to make the flux negative in a non-constant vector field. This can be done by adjusting the vector field to have a negative magnitude or by changing the direction of the vector field at certain points.

4. What is the difference between a negative flux and a positive flux in a constant vector field?

A negative flux in a constant vector field indicates that the flow or motion is in the opposite direction of the vector field. On the other hand, a positive flux indicates that the flow or motion is in the same direction as the vector field.

5. How can I visualize the negative flux in a constant vector field?

To visualize the negative flux in a constant vector field, you can use arrows or streamlines to represent the vector field. The negative flux will be shown as arrows or streamlines pointing in the opposite direction of the vector field.