How Does the Temperature Affect Ice Melting in Iced Tea?

• Thread starter phunphysics2
  • Start date
In summary: So, in part A, the initial temperature of the hot tea is 90 degrees Celsius, and the final temperature of the hot tea and melted ice is t degrees Celsius. In part B, the initial temperature of the hot tea is 70 degrees Celsius, and the final temperature of the hot tea and melted ice is 0 degrees Celsius.
phunphysics2
a person makes a quantity of iced tea by mixing 500 g of hot tea (essentially water) with an equal mass of ice at its melting point. if the initial hot tea is at room temperature of (a) 90 degrees celsius and (b) 70 degrees celsius, what are the temperature and mass of the remaining ice when the tea and ice reach a common temperature? Neglect energy transfers with the environment.

My attempt

Latent heat of melting - 334 kJ/kg=L
s=Specific heat water - 4.187 kJ/kgK
from calorimetry principle,
heat rejected by tea=heat used to melt ice
a)Final temp=t degree
all ice melts
heat rejected=ms(90-t)=.5*4.187*(90-t)
heat tken in ice=mL+mst=.5*334+.5*4.187*t
so .5*4.187*(90-t)=.5*334+.5*4.187*t
temp=5.11

b)let m ice melts
final temp=0
heat rejected=ms(70-0)=.5*4.187*(70-0)=146.545
heat taken in ice=mL=m*334
so 146.545=m*334
so m=.439 g
so ice remains=.5-.439=.061

ans :
a)final temp=5.11 degree c ; no ice remains
b)Final temp=0, .061 kg or 61.2 gram ice remain

Can someone please tell me why in Part A 90 is being used as the final temperature and t is used as the initial temperature? Thank you! I am really confused about that part

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat rejected is the negative of heat gained. To take care of the negative, the initial and final temperatures are switched in calculating the change in temperature for the heat rejected. That way, you get a positive number for the heat rejected.

What is the best way to make iced tea?

The best way to make iced tea is to steep tea bags or loose tea leaves in hot water for 3-5 minutes, depending on the type of tea. Then, remove the tea bags or strain the leaves and let the tea cool to room temperature before pouring it over ice. You can also add sweetener or lemon for added flavor.

What type of tea is best for making iced tea?

While any type of tea can be used to make iced tea, black tea is the most commonly used due to its strong flavor and ability to hold up to ice and other flavorings. Green tea, herbal teas, and fruit teas can also be used for iced tea, but may require different steeping times.

How long can iced tea be stored in the fridge?

Iced tea can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. After that, the flavor may begin to change and the tea may become cloudy. It is best to consume iced tea within 24 hours for the freshest taste.

Can I use hot water to make iced tea?

Yes, hot water is typically used to steep tea leaves for iced tea. However, some teas, such as green tea, may require slightly cooler water to prevent bitterness in the final product.

How do I make a large batch of iced tea?

To make a large batch of iced tea, simply increase the amount of water and tea bags or leaves used. You may also need to steep the tea for a longer amount of time to ensure the flavor is strong enough for the larger amount of water. Once the tea has cooled, transfer it to a pitcher and refrigerate until ready to serve.