Making resonance using simulated inductor (op amp)

In summary, a simulated inductor can be used to create a resonance circuit that amplifies sound input only at a specific frequency. This can be useful for creating a circuit that responds strongly to a sound input. However, as the circuit requires a high-quality inductor, it may be difficult to find.
Curl
Making resonance using "simulated inductor" (op amp)

I want to have a circuit that responds strongly (gives me a good measurable voltage) to a 10kHz sound input. To do this, I thought about hooking up a microphone and making a resonance circuit (using inductor and capacitor) to amplify the microphone output ONLY at 10kHz (simply hooking up the microphone to an op-amp did not work because of poor signal/noise ratio).

The problem is, finding the right inductor is not easy, so I thought about using a "simulated" inductor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrator#Application:_a_simulated_inductor

So my question is, will this work? I don't know if this fake inductor can do the job in this case, so I'm looking for advice. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no reason why it shouldn't work, provided you realize that one end of the virtual inductor is effectively grounded. That limits your circuit design options a bit.

On the other hand, maybe a high-Q bandpass filter would do the job just as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sallen–Key_topology#Application:_Bandpass_filter
You can find component value calculators for Sallen & Key filters on the web.

Likes 1 person
Very early touch-tone telephones had actual inductors inside; one from a thrift shop would be a source . You can identify those phones easily - they weigh two or three times more than all electronic ones. There'd be an element of nostalgia to that approach.But, Yes, a filter of some sort seems very natural.

I have used the biquad filter in this datasheet with good results at around 25khz, Q around 50.
It should do fine if you don't mind old school design.

See figure 52 here:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm359.pdf

pretty sure i built the type1, single supply probably 5 volts - it was about twenty years ago.

I used 5% resistors but hand selected them to match one another and fine-tuned the filter with a frequency generator.
old jim

ALephZero is right. What you want is a band-pass filter (the highest Q the better). Read up on them. You can implement them with R, L, C passives, with opamps, Rs, and Cs, or buy them prepackaged.

Getting an old radio or phone and harvesting passives could be fun too. Or you could just design an LC ladder filter (look it up) and buy the passives from Digi-Key or something.

Thanks guys, you are right that a band-pass filter is what I should use for my situation.

Here's a dumb question, but for the Sallen-Key type filter, I cannot use electrolytic capacitors correct? Should I buy the thin-film caps for this purpose?

You can't use polarized capacitors, for the obvious reason. You could use non-polarized electrolytic caps.

But for a 10 kHz frequency, I'm surprised you need capacitor values big enough to be even thinking about electrolytics, if you use sensible resistor values, i.e. in the 10K to 100K range.

In any case, if you want accurate frequencies, electrolytics often have HUGE tolerances (like +100% -20% of the nominal value)

Look for electronic surplus. I found, at my metal recycle yard, an old telephone exchange. I got several boards chock full of 1% capacitors, and they had leads long enough to salvage.

Aleph is right about electrolytics. They're most often used for filter capacitors where 'more' is almost always 'better'.

You'll want some sort of film. Some ceramics have a hefty temperature coefficient, so read the datasheet carefully.

Likes 1 person
Film capacitors. Polyester for cheap and compact through holes. Polysulfone for surface mount.
Gyrators are okay, but their Q is limited by their feedback resistor. It's difficult to set the resistor less than about 30 ohms and still get stable performance.
For a bit of fun, you can use your common BJT as an emitter follower to replace the op amp.

Related to Making resonance using simulated inductor (op amp)

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire and is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electricity. When current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field which opposes any changes in the current, causing it to act as a "resistor" to changes in current.

2. How can an op amp be used to simulate an inductor?

An op amp, or operational amplifier, is a type of electronic amplifier that can be used to simulate the behavior of an inductor. By configuring the op amp in a special circuit called a "simulated inductor circuit", it can mimic the behavior of an inductor by producing an output voltage that is proportional to the time rate of change of the input voltage.

3. What are the benefits of using a simulated inductor over a traditional inductor?

Using a simulated inductor can offer several advantages over using a traditional inductor. It can be implemented using only a few electronic components, making it more compact and cost-effective compared to a physical inductor. It also allows for greater control and customization of the inductance value, making it a more versatile option for certain applications.

4. What are some common applications of simulated inductors?

Simulated inductors are commonly used in electronic circuits that require precise control and adjustment of inductance, such as in audio and radio frequency filters, power supplies, and oscillators. They can also be used in simulations and modeling of complex circuits or systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simulated inductor?

While simulated inductors offer many benefits, they also have some limitations. They may not be suitable for high-power applications as they have a limited current handling capacity. They can also be more sensitive to temperature changes and other external factors compared to physical inductors. Additionally, they may not always provide the same level of accuracy as a physical inductor, especially in more complex circuits.