Making the Most Powerful Home Electromagnet

In summary: So, can you give an example of how these concepts play out in this situation?The amount of current.When it comes to magnetism, one of the most important factors is the amount of current flowing through the wire. More current will create a stronger magnet. However, too much current can also start a fire. So, it's important to use the right amount of current for the job.Which wire would be too small to create a strong magnet?It's up to you to make the decision about how small the wire needs to be to create a strong magnet. However, it's important to be careful not to make the wire too small, as it could start a fire.
juanshotfirst
Hello!

I have been wanting to make a big ol' electromagnet for a while now. I thought instead of just going out to buy random stuff perhaps I should explore the science first.

My plan was to get some rebar, a car battery, and some insulated wire to wrap around the rebar to creat en electromagnet and, well, a permanent magnet. Then I decided to stop and think.

I have a number of questions.
1. I've done something like this before. Why does this process create an electromagnet and THEN a permanent magnet that's just less powerful than the electromagnet. Do just some of the domains stay aligned when the current stops?
2. Is rebar my best cheap option? It's unrefined steel right? So there should be plenty of iron in it. What would be my best option for a rod for cheap (I live near lowes and walmart) -- A side questions, which has the most magnetic potential period, iron, nickle, or cobalt? Why?
3. Is it the voltage or the current that provides the increase in magnetism? I would LOVE to understand this with math.
4. From what I understand smaller wire is better. Why is it better? What wire would be too small (I'd rather not start a fire)?
5. Could I somehow plug it into the wall? How would I make a safe circuit with nothing being powered? Would AC or DC make a better magnet? Why?
Thanks!

P.S. If I figure all of this out I will absolutely post pics and prolly a vid.

Engineering news on Phys.org
bump

juanshotfirst said:
I thought instead of just going out to buy random stuff perhaps I should explore the science first.
bold by me
Okay. Here's a place to start with interactive poke points. Look it over, do some clicking and come back with any questions.

The magnetic field.

I know all of the basics. I mean the exact science of this particular process and the formulas behind it. I was hoping for some more direct help.

juanshotfirst said:
I know all of the basics. I mean the exact science of this particular process and the formulas behind it. I was hoping for some more direct help.

Well, put up the basic formula and ask some questions about whichever terms you're unsure about how to optimize.

You haven't indicated that you understand induction and Faraday's law.

1. How can I make the most powerful home electromagnet?

To make the most powerful home electromagnet, you will need a strong ferromagnetic core such as iron or steel, a power source such as a battery or power supply, and a coil of wire. The more turns of wire in the coil, the stronger the magnetic field will be. Also, using a larger battery or power supply will increase the strength of the electromagnet.

2. What type of wire should I use for the coil?

The best type of wire to use for your electromagnet is copper wire. Copper is a good conductor of electricity and can handle high amounts of current, which is necessary for creating a strong magnetic field. Thicker wire will also provide more strength to the electromagnet.

3. How can I increase the strength of my electromagnet?

There are a few ways to increase the strength of your electromagnet. First, you can increase the number of turns in the coil. This will create a stronger magnetic field. Second, you can use a stronger ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel. Lastly, using a larger power source, such as a higher voltage battery or power supply, will also increase the strength of the electromagnet.

4. Can I control the strength of my electromagnet?

Yes, you can control the strength of your electromagnet by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire. Using a variable power supply or varying the number of batteries in series can help you control the strength of the electromagnet. You can also use a switch to turn the power on and off, which will control the magnetic field.

5. Is it safe to make a powerful electromagnet at home?

As long as you follow proper safety precautions, making a powerful electromagnet at home can be safe. Be sure to use insulated wire, wear protective gear, and keep the magnet away from electronic devices. Also, be careful when handling the power source and make sure to turn it off when not in use.