Basic (I think) question on electromagnet combos

In summary: Thanks for the reply... What I want to do is make an electromagnet that will attract a metal plate and basically lock with it. Maybe not so strong that a machine couldn't pull it apart, but so strong that the average human couldn't. I tried a piece of sheet metal with my electromagnet and it picks it up, but you can easily pull it off. I was thinking maybe if I put a magnet on the other side of the sheet metal that might help - ?? Also, I was planning on wiring a potentiometer to the electromagnet to control the force of pull.In summary, your electromagnet will attract a metal plate if there is a magnet on the other side of the sheet
4REEL
Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. I'm an artist and musician and have just recently started delving into inventing, my scientific knowledge is very limited. I've made a simple electromagnet but I want to get the strongest pull between the magnet and another small surface. I want strong pull but I want to keep the space confined. So I don't want to use a huge piece of metal wrapped a million times or a huge car battery (or similar) to power it. And I want the power supply to be confined to the same small space, so no plug in power supply.

I was wondering if I would get a much stronger bond if I used the electromagnet (using because I want to turn off the pull) and a permanent magnet, as opposed to using the electromagnet and a piece of steel or iron. I know there will be some pull between the permanent magnet and the bolt used to make the electromagnet when there is no power supply on the electromagnet, but I'm thinking of separating them by a thin sheet of plastic which will minimize the pull when the electromagnet isn't powered.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that an electromagnet can de-magnetize a permanent magnet. In this case I'm referring to a Neodymium magnet. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
4REEL said:
Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum. I'm an artist and musician and have just recently started delving into inventing, my scientific knowledge is very limited. I've made a simple electromagnet but I want to get the strongest pull between the magnet and another small surface. I want strong pull but I want to keep the space confined. So I don't want to use a huge piece of metal wrapped a million times or a huge car battery (or similar) to power it. And I want the power supply to be confined to the same small space, so no plug in power supply.

I was wondering if I would get a much stronger bond if I used the electromagnet (using because I want to turn off the pull) and a permanent magnet, as opposed to using the electromagnet and a piece of steel or iron. I know there will be some pull between the permanent magnet and the bolt used to make the electromagnet when there is no power supply on the electromagnet, but I'm thinking of separating them by a thin sheet of plastic which will minimize the pull when the electromagnet isn't powered.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that an electromagnet can de-magnetize a permanent magnet. In this case I'm referring to a Neodymium magnet. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, an electromagnet or another permanent magnet can be used to demagnetize a permanent magnet. Kind of unproductive, eh?

You get the strogest magnetic force by minimizing the distance that the magnetic flux passes through air versus passing through ferrous metal. That's why horseshoe magnets and other closed-path magnets are configured the way they are. Can you show us more about what you want to do?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, an electromagnet or another permanent magnet can be used to demagnetize a permanent magnet. Kind of unproductive, eh?

You get the strogest magnetic force by minimizing the distance that the magnetic flux passes through air versus passing through ferrous metal. That's why horseshoe magnets and other closed-path magnets are configured the way they are. Can you show us more about what you want to do?

Thanks for the reply... What I want to do is make an electromagnet that will attract a metal plate and basically lock with it. Maybe not so strong that a machine couldn't pull it apart, but so strong that the average human couldn't. I tried a piece of sheet metal with my electromagnet and it picks it up, but you can easily pull it off. I was thinking maybe if I put a magnet on the other side of the sheet metal that might help - ?? Also, I was planning on wiring a potentiometer to the electromagnet to control the force of pull.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire. The wire is typically wrapped around a core material, such as iron, to increase the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by creating a magnetic field when an electric current flows through the wire. This magnetic field can then attract or repel other magnetic objects, depending on the direction of the current.

3. What are some common uses of electromagnets?

Electromagnets have a wide range of uses, including in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, refrigerator magnets, and credit cards.

4. Can an electromagnet be turned on and off?

Yes, an electromagnet can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity through the wire. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field disappears, and the electromagnet will no longer attract or repel other objects.

5. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

The main difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet is that the magnetic field of an electromagnet can be turned on and off, while the magnetism of a permanent magnet is always present. Additionally, the strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire, whereas the strength of a permanent magnet is fixed.