Male Bio Students Underestimate Female Peers

In summary: The study reports a bias under the conditions cited. Sure, they could look at different schools, but that doesn't negate the results.1) Yes, in a (more) ideal world, this would be the case, and we should aim for it, but, being realistic, one should prepare for these situations
I do think, to an extent, women are discriminated against in academia. Currently, girls are outperforming boys in schools and, generally, more women are enrolled in university than men, so the future is in their favor. However, right now, STEM fields are still largely male dominated, and when you are a minority in any field, there is more pressure.

Particularly, in our culture, I do think men are sort of told to be very confident (as a result many overestimate their abilities) while women are generally told to be very humble (as a result, underestimating their abilities). Neither extreme is good.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would call myself a feminist (a practical one), in that I'd want equal treatment of both genders and I'd want my future daughter to have the same opportunities and be treated with the same respect as my future son.

Doesn't mean I'm super obsessed with political correctness, that I'm anti-men or that I ignore the issues that men exclusively face.

I think having the same exact androgynous standards (in careers, justice, dating, sexuality and so on) for both genders is the only way to move forward. No double standards - just fair flat standards for everybody.

Last edited: