Mapping Class Group and Path-Component of Id.

In summary, Aut(X) is a group under composition, and the mapping class group M(X) of X is defined as the quotient: Aut(X)/Aut_id(X).
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

Given a smooth, orientable manifold X, we turn Aut(X)
the collection of all self-diffeos. of X into
a topological space, by using the compact-open
topology. Aut(X) is also a group under composition.

The mapping class group M(X) of X is defined as the
quotient:

M(X):= Aut(X)/Aut_id(X)

where Aut_id(X) is the path-component of the
identity map --which coincides with the isotopy
class of IdX in the compact-open topology.
(group operation is composition, of course)

My question:
In order for M(X) to be a group, we must have
Aut_id(X) be a normal subgroup of X. How do we know
that Aut_id(X) is normal in X?. I think we need for
X to be a topological group or something, but I
am not sure.

Thanks For any Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh? You need H:=Aut_id(X) to be normal in G:=Aut(X). I.e. gHg^{-1} < H for all g in G. And this is obvious since g o h o g^{-1} ~ g o id o g^{-1} = id.

since multiplication by a is continuous, if S is a connected set then so is aS. and so is aSa^-1. This seems to do it.

quasar987 said:
Eh? You need H:=Aut_id(X) to be normal in G:=Aut(X).

Right. My carelessness

I.e. gHg^{-1} < H for all g in G. And this is obvious since g o h o g^{-1} ~ g o id o g^{-1} = id.

I agree, Q, but what I am confused about is that I was told that Aut_idX is normal
in Aut(X) only when AutX is a Lie group or a topological group. And I don't see how
we need this assumption in your argument.

Maybe Wonk's reply: using the continuity of multiplication, which is part of the def. of Lie groups
or topological groups.

Last edited:
Since 1 is in S, then also a.1.a^-1 = 1 is in aSa^-1. So aSa^-1, is a connected set containing 1. Thus aSa^-1 is a connected set that contains 1, hence it lies entirely in S. so S is normal.

Yes, but what I meant to say is that , AFAIK, we need the condition of
Aut(X) being a topological group for the result to hold, and I did not see
where that assumption was being used in Quasar's post.

1. What is the Mapping Class Group?

The Mapping Class Group is a mathematical group that consists of all the homeomorphisms (continuous transformations) of a topological space that preserve its structure. In simpler terms, it is the group of all ways to map a space onto itself, while maintaining its essential features.

2. What is the Path-Component of Id?

The Path-Component of Id, or the path component of the identity, refers to the set of all homeomorphisms that can be continuously transformed into the identity map. In other words, it is the subgroup of the Mapping Class Group that contains all the homeomorphisms that are "close" to the identity map in terms of topology.

3. Why is the Mapping Class Group important?

The Mapping Class Group is an essential concept in topology and geometry, as it helps us understand the symmetries and transformations of spaces. It has applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and even biology.

4. How is the Mapping Class Group and Path-Component of Id related?

The Path-Component of Id is a subgroup of the Mapping Class Group. This means that every element in the Path-Component of Id is also an element of the Mapping Class Group. However, not all elements of the Mapping Class Group are part of the Path-Component of Id.

5. What are some examples of spaces that have interesting Mapping Class Groups?

Some examples of spaces with interesting Mapping Class Groups include the 2-sphere, the 3-dimensional hyperbolic space, and the surface of a torus. These spaces have non-trivial topologies, and their Mapping Class Groups have been extensively studied by mathematicians.