Marginal cost and marginal revenue

• Thread starter newts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marginal
In summary: You could just divide by 2 to get your cost at x=5, or you could take the derivative of the cost equation with respect to x, to find the cost at x=5 as a function of x. C'(5)=-50+25x
newts

Homework Statement

For a certain product, cost C and revenue R are implicitly given as follows, where x is the number of units sold (in hundreds)
a) Find and interpret the marginal cost dC/dx at x=5
b) Find and interpret the marginal revenue dR/dx at x=5

Homework Equations

C2 = x2+100√x +50
900(x-5)2 + 25R2 = 22500

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I'm making this out to be a lot harder than it actually is. My first instinct would be to apply derivatives and chain rule.

Physics news on Phys.org
newts said:

Homework Statement

For a certain product, cost C and revenue R are implicitly given as follows, where x is the number of units sold (in hundreds)
a) Find and interpret the marginal cost dC/dx at x=5
b) Find and interpret the marginal revenue dR/dx at x=5

Homework Equations

C2 = x2+100√x +50
900(x-5)2 + 25R2 = 22500

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I'm making this out to be a lot harder than it actually is. My first instinct would be to apply derivatives and chain rule.

Why don't you just go ahead and do that, to see what you get?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Why don't you just go ahead and do that, to see what you get?

RGV

Okay, so then because C defines x implicitly, we'll be looking for implicit derivatives, right? So with that, I get my marginal cost to be

c'= (2x + 50/√x)/2c

And then from there, I would plug in my x=5

But I'm thinking that equation might be wrong? Because what would I do with the 2c in the denominator?

newts said:
Okay, so then because C defines x implicitly, we'll be looking for implicit derivatives, right? So with that, I get my marginal cost to be

c'= (2x + 50/√x)/2c

And then from there, I would plug in my x=5
What you have looks OK, except that you should have parentheses around 2C in the denominator.

Use the cost equation to find C when x = 5, and then find C'(x).
newts said:
But I'm thinking that equation might be wrong? Because what would I do with the 2c in the denominator?

What is marginal cost?

Marginal cost is the additional cost incurred by producing one additional unit of a product or service. It takes into account the variable costs, such as labor and materials, that increase as production increases.

What is the formula for calculating marginal cost?

The formula for calculating marginal cost is: change in total cost / change in quantity produced. This means that the marginal cost is equal to the difference in total cost between two production levels divided by the difference in quantity produced.

What is marginal revenue?

Marginal revenue is the additional revenue generated from selling one additional unit of a product or service. It is calculated by dividing the change in total revenue by the change in quantity sold.

How does marginal cost and marginal revenue relate to each other?

Marginal cost and marginal revenue are directly related. When marginal cost is lower than marginal revenue, it is profitable to produce more units. When marginal cost is higher than marginal revenue, it is not profitable to produce more units.

Why is understanding marginal cost and marginal revenue important for businesses?

Understanding marginal cost and marginal revenue allows businesses to make informed decisions about production quantities and pricing strategies. By analyzing these concepts, businesses can determine the most profitable level of production and set prices that maximize profits.