Marginal cost with two variables, confused.

In summary: So, in part (c), you should really write:$85\text{ marginal cost of manufacturing a bicycle at a level of 10 bicycles and 10 tricycles}$
nakota2k

Homework Statement

Your weekly cost to manufacture x bicycles and y tricycles is

C(x,y)=20,000+60x+20y+50√(xy)

a. What is marginal cost of manufacturing a bicycle.

b. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a tricycle.

c. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a bicycle at a level of 10 bicycles and 10 tricycles?

d. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a tricycle at a level of 8 bicycles and 8 tricycles?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally I thought I would derive then plug in for x to get marginal cost.
I derived x and got (25y^1/2)/x^(1/2) +60 but I don't know what to do next or if that is even right.

I derived y and got (25x^1/2)/(y^1/2) +20 again I don't know what to do next

Physics news on Phys.org
nakota2k said:

Homework Statement

Your weekly cost to manufacture x bicycles and y tricycles is

C(x,y)=20,000+60x+20y+50√(xy)

a. What is marginal cost of manufacturing a bicycle.

b. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a tricycle.

c. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a bicycle at a level of 10 bicycles and 10 tricycles?

d. What is the marginal cost of manufacturing a tricycle at a level of 8 bicycles and 8 tricycles?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally I thought I would derive then plug in for x to get marginal cost.
I derived x and got (25y^1/2)/x^(1/2) +60 but I don't know what to do next or if that is even right.

I derived y and got (25x^1/2)/(y^1/2) +20 again I don't know what to do next

Yes, that is (roughly) what is meant by marginal cost.

For (a) and (b) that is all you can do, since a base pair (x,y) is not specified. However, in parts (c) and (d) you are given x and y values to work with. So, what do you think you should do next?

In principle, the true marginal cost of 1 bicycle, starting from a base of ##(x_0,y_0)##, would be
[tex]\text{actual marginal cost } = C(x_0+1,y_0) - C(x_0,y_0)[/tex]
For a cost function that does not "curve" too much (or for values of ##x_0## and ##y_0## that are not "too small" we have a reasonable approximation if we take
[tex] C(x_0+1,y_0) - C(x_0,y_0) \approx \frac{\partial C(x_0,y_0)}{\partial x},[/tex]
so that is why I said "roughly" before. Basically, the partial derivative is what economists often use. To be absolutely sure of your usage, check the definitions in your textbook or course notes.

Ok this is what I got so far.

a. 60+25√y/x

b. 20+25√x/y

c. $85

d $45

nakota2k said:
Ok this is what I got so far.

a. 60+25√y/x

b. 20+25√x/y

c. $85

d $45

Yes, but be careful with parentheses. Strictly speaking, √x/y means (√x)/y, but to get those numbers you must mean (correctly) √(x/y).

What is marginal cost?

Marginal cost is the increase in cost that occurs when the quantity produced or consumed increases by one unit.

How is marginal cost calculated?

Marginal cost is calculated by dividing the change in total cost by the change in quantity of the product or service.

What are the two variables in marginal cost?

The two variables in marginal cost are quantity and cost. Quantity refers to the amount of the product or service being produced or consumed, while cost refers to the total cost of producing or consuming that quantity.

Why is marginal cost important?

Marginal cost is important because it helps businesses and economists determine the most efficient level of production, as well as make decisions about pricing and profitability.

How does marginal cost relate to marginal revenue?

Marginal cost and marginal revenue are closely related, as marginal revenue is the increase in revenue that occurs when an additional unit of the product or service is sold. Businesses use the relationship between marginal cost and marginal revenue to determine the optimal level of production and pricing for their products.