Mars Landing, How instantaneous communication was possible

In summary: Except for the people who are actually living in space, of course.In summary, the recent landing by the Mars Rover was delayed due to delays in communication.
NTesla
TL;DR Summary
It was incredible to watch it live from JPL feed. However, while watching the EDL (Entry Descent and Landing) phase, what I couldn't understand was how come they were relaying the EDL phase situation on a second by second basis as if it were instantaneous when it takes about 11 minutes for information to travel from Mars to Earth.

[Mod note: thread level changed to beginner.]
If someone understood it, then kindly explain..?

Likes SpaceJacob
Astronomy news on Phys.org
They were relaying it simultaneous with the signal being received, not with what was happening on the ground.

Likes SpaceJacob, Klystron, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
When around the world news coverage initially became more common, some broadcasters such as PBS and NASA-TV distributed some real-time content complete with speed-of-light and processing delays. They filled the gaps with live commentary, near-time recorded content and 'stock' photographs. Broadcast journalists explained the inherent delays were left intact in an abundance of caution to avoid the appearance of manipulation of words and events and because near-time information processing was resource intensive: expensive and time consuming.

I recall watching events from Houston (manned space flight) and JPL (instrument packages) in a theater at Ames Research Center (ARC) with intense nuggets of information interspersed among periods of operators fidgeting over consoles. Even after reception, data processing required minutes to hours.

Commercial broadcasters recorded real-time events and remote interviews and spliced the sequences into a cohesive narrative that avoided dreaded "dead air". As technique and technology rapidly improved, spliced near-time narratives replaced transmission/reception gaps in real-time as if no delay existed.

Modern audiences expect coherent uninterrupted narratives. Current broadcasters comply. This comment ignores government regulations and injections of artistic content outside the scope of the original post.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/02/18/nasa-ames-mars-rover-perserverance-landing/

Last edited:
In actual fact, we have grown to accept delays in communications via the internet which are worse than what you can get when talking with the Moon. Conversations with TV reporters used not to suffer in this way when simple wires were used.
The NASA commentary on the recent landing never pointed out that ‘all this happened eleven minutes ago’. Most of the audience would not have considered it.
People love to watch a recording of yesterday’s Big Match and avoid the news and newspapers whilst they’re waiting. Folks are strange.

Likes russ_watters and nsaspook
I agree that we all are accustomed to delays, so NASA relied on the time they received a signal from Mars, not the real time. Moreover, people who watch NASA's live streams are aware of how the Earth-Mars communication occurs, so they thought there's no need to explain how the delay is overcome.

Likes russ_watters
SpaceJacob said:
Moreover, people who watch NASA's live streams are aware of how the Earth-Mars communication occurs...
Really? All of them?

phinds said:
Really? All of them?
Well, the ones that count! Definitely not the ones who could ever have believed in the moon Landing Conspiracy. EM waves behave very pedantically.

phinds said:
Really? All of them?
I suppose the majority of them. When you watch NASA's streams from time to time, like it or not, you start to understand how things in space work. I don't mean they all are experts, I mean they have at least a basic knowledge of it.

Likes russ_watters
SpaceJacob said:
I suppose the majority of them. When you watch NASA's streams from time to time, like it or not, you start to understand how things in space work. I don't mean they all are experts, I mean they have at least a basic knowledge of it.
Yeah, I was thinking more of the casual observer, but I think you're right.

phinds said:
Yeah, I was thinking more of the casual observer, but I think you're right.
I would hope even the casual observers. The fact that they are largely autonomous should be one of the first things you learn about them. Their actions are pre-planned and they are otherwise robotic/autonomous in part due to the delay. Otherwise they could be using them in realtime, which would be more productive.

@russ_watters i think you are overestimating the “casual observer” here. I talk to (far from dim) people who hear me say facts like delays of several minutes yet totally dismiss the real consequences.
it’s easy to forget that many of us PF members are going through this sort of thought process on a daily basis. None of these things are needed in everyday life so your average member of the public easily slips into the ‘now equals now, everywhere’view of time.

Likes Imager, phinds and russ_watters

1. How long does it take for communication to reach Mars?

The time it takes for communication to reach Mars varies depending on the distance between Earth and Mars. On average, it takes about 20 minutes for a signal to travel from Earth to Mars.

2. How is communication possible between Earth and Mars?

Communication between Earth and Mars is made possible through the use of radio waves. NASA has a network of Deep Space Network (DSN) antennas located around the world that are used to send and receive signals to and from spacecraft on Mars.

3. Can communication be disrupted during the Mars landing?

Yes, communication can be disrupted during the Mars landing due to various factors such as atmospheric conditions, interference from other signals, or technical malfunctions. However, NASA has backup systems in place to ensure that communication is maintained during critical moments like the Mars landing.

4. How do scientists ensure real-time communication during the Mars landing?

To ensure real-time communication during the Mars landing, scientists use a combination of technologies such as deep space transponders, high-gain antennas, and sophisticated communication protocols. These technologies allow for a continuous flow of data between Earth and Mars, providing real-time updates on the landing process.

5. How does the Mars rover send data back to Earth?

The Mars rover sends data back to Earth through the use of the Deep Space Network antennas. The rover collects data and sends it to the orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which then relays the data back to Earth through the DSN antennas. This process allows for a steady stream of data to be transmitted back to Earth for analysis.