Mass distribution in a celestial system

In summary: Yes. In summary, if two sets of objects, of similar size but different mass, were to be part of a rotating celestial system, how differently would they be distributed? Would the distribution of the lower-mass objects be more spread out, while the higher-mass objects would be concentrated toward the centre?
Ranku
If two sets of objects, of similar size but different mass, were to be part of a rotating celestial system, how differently would they be distributed? Would the distribution of the lower-mass objects be more spread out, while the higher-mass objects would be concentrated toward the centre?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Ranku said:
If two sets of objects, of similar size but different mass, were to be part of a rotating celestial system, how differently would they be distributed? Would the distribution of the lower-mass objects be more spread out, while the higher-mass objects would be concentrated toward the centre?
I'm no expert but I can say that our solar system does not follow this hypothesis. The four high mass planets are quite far out. The lower mass asteroids are most concentrated in the middle, between Mars and Jupiter.

Everything experiences the same acceleration due to gravity so I don't expect mass to have anything to do with distance from the center.

Likes Ibix and PeroK
I'd say there were too many variables in that to answer. If the bodies are more or less space-filling then I'd expect the denser ones to sink under their own self-gravity. But if the densities are wildly different you might end up with the dense bodies each surrounded by its own "atmosphere" of low density objects, but otherwise behaving more or less as if the low density ones didn't exist. And @Hornbein has a different reading.

I suspect that there are other interpretations possible. What sort of spacing, density ratio, average mass, average kinetic energy, etc did you have in mind, @Ranku?

Ibix said:
I suspect that there are other interpretations possible. What sort of spacing, density ratio, average mass, average kinetic energy, etc did you have in mind, @Ranku?
I had in mind a galaxy with matter and dark matter mix. I was wondering if the distribution of matter and dark matter, with much of matter concentrated toward the centre, and dark matter dispersed much further, could in some way be indicating that dark matter is lighter than matter.

No. That kind of separation between heavy and light species can happen, but it requires the species to be able to collide so that they can exclude one another from "their" region. Dark matter does not collide, neither with itself nor with matter, because it does not interact electromagnetically. Thus it can't separate out like species in a fractionating column.

The dark matter halo arises because of that lack of collision. Dark matter doesn’t collide, so it doesn’t heat up and end up radiating away its kinetic energy. Thus it keeps flying around at higher speeds than normal matter, and doesn’t clump into planets and stars.

• Informative
Likes Ranku
Ibix said:
No. That kind of separation between heavy and light species can happen, but it requires the species to be able to collide so that they can exclude one another from "their" region. Dark matter does not collide, neither with itself nor with matter, because it does not interact electromagnetically. Thus it can't separate out like species in a fractionating column.
But dark matter does interact gravitationally, including with matter. A hyperbolic flyby is an elastic collision.

snorkack said:
But dark matter does interact gravitationally, including with matter. A hyperbolic flyby is an elastic collision.
So if there is elastic collision, then can the process of separation of species between (heavier) matter and (lighter) dark matter in terms of their distribution occur after all, due to gravitational interaction - though the distribution would be somewhat different than what it would have been in collisional interaction.

What is mass distribution in a celestial system?

Mass distribution in a celestial system refers to the way in which matter is distributed among the various objects within the system. This includes stars, planets, moons, asteroids, and other celestial bodies.

Why is mass distribution important in understanding celestial systems?

Mass distribution plays a crucial role in determining the overall structure and behavior of a celestial system. It affects the gravitational forces between objects, the orbits of planets and moons, and the formation and evolution of the system.

How is mass distribution measured in a celestial system?

Mass distribution can be measured using various techniques such as gravitational lensing, stellar dynamics, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to estimate the mass of individual objects as well as the overall mass distribution within the system.

What factors influence mass distribution in a celestial system?

The mass distribution in a celestial system is influenced by a variety of factors, including the initial conditions of the system, the gravitational interactions between objects, and the effects of external forces such as tidal forces from nearby objects.

How does mass distribution impact the stability of a celestial system?

The mass distribution within a celestial system is closely linked to its stability. Systems with more evenly distributed mass tend to be more stable, while systems with uneven mass distribution may experience disruptions and changes in orbits over time.