Energy change in a nuclear reaction

In summary, mass defect describes the difference between the total mass of the products and the total mass of the reactants. This difference is due to the conversion of some of the reactants' mass to energy.
songoku
Homework Statement
A fluorine - 18 nucleus can capture proton producing a neon - 19 nucleus as the product. The mass defect of fluorine - 18 and neon - 19 are 0.14712 u and 0.15398 u respectively. What is the energy change associated with this reaction?
Relevant Equations
E = mc^2
I got 6.5 MeV but I don't understand how to determine whether the energy is released or absorbed. My guess: the energy is absorbed because mass defect of neon is bigger?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: A fluorine - 18 nucleus can capture proton producing a neon - 19 nucleus as the product. The mass defect of fluorine - 18 and neon - 19 are 0.14712 u and 0.15398 u respectively. What is the energy change associated with this reaction?
Homework Equations:: E = mc^2

I got 6.5 MeV but I don't understand how to determine whether the energy is released or absorbed. My guess: the energy is absorbed because mass defect of neon is bigger?

Thanks
What is your understanding of how mass defect is defined?

haruspex said:
What is your understanding of how mass defect is defined?

Difference between total mass of products and parents because some of the masses are converted to energy

songoku said:
Difference between total mass of products and parents because some of the masses are converted to energy
That's ambiguous because a difference is unsigned, and when given as the mass defect of an atom it is not in respect of an arbitrary disassemblage. Can you be more precise?

I think the more appropriate definition of mass defect is the total mass of proton and neutron minus mass of the nuclei

songoku said:
I think the more appropriate definition of mass defect is the total mass of proton and neutron minus mass of the nuclei
Right, so has the mass defect (of the whole system) increased or decreased? What does that mean about the change in total mass?

haruspex said:
Right, so has the mass defect (of the whole system) increased or decreased? What does that mean about the change in total mass?
The mass defect of the system increases so the total mass also increases. This means that Ne has higher binding energy than F so some energy must be released to keep the energy conserved?

Thanks

songoku said:
The mass defect of the system increases so the total mass also increases.
A defect is a shortage. If I have a shortage of cash for something I want to buy and the shortage increases, do I have more cash or less?

haruspex said:
A defect is a shortage. If I have a shortage of cash for something I want to buy and the shortage increases, do I have more cash or less?
Oh ok so since the shortage increases it means that mass of the product is less compared to mass of reactants so some of mass of reactants is converted to energy and released through the process

songoku said:
Oh ok so since the shortage increases it means that mass of the product is less compared to mass of reactants so some of mass of reactants is converted to energy and released through the process
Yes.

Thank you very much

1. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process in which the nucleus of an atom is changed, resulting in a release of energy.

2. How is energy released in a nuclear reaction?

Energy is released in a nuclear reaction through the splitting or combining of atomic nuclei, which results in a change in the mass of the nucleus. This change in mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, E=mc².

3. What types of energy are released in a nuclear reaction?

Nuclear reactions release various types of energy, including heat, light, and radiation. The specific type of energy released depends on the type of nuclear reaction and the particles involved.

4. Can nuclear reactions be controlled?

Yes, nuclear reactions can be controlled through a process known as nuclear fission, in which the splitting of a nucleus is carefully regulated to release energy in a controlled manner. This is the process used in nuclear power plants to generate electricity.

5. What are the potential dangers of nuclear reactions?

The potential dangers of nuclear reactions include the release of harmful radiation, the risk of nuclear accidents, and the production of nuclear waste which can remain radioactive for thousands of years. Proper safety measures and regulations are in place to minimize these risks.