Mass problem or something of a sort (E=mc^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of E=mc2 in the border between the quantum and classical worlds. The speaker asks about the relationship between quantum tunneling and classical methods of passing barriers, as well as the role of energy in this process. They express a desire for a mathematical explanation and welcome responses from experienced individuals, despite not having a physics degree. The response clarifies that E=mc2 applies to both classical and quantum systems, but may not be relevant in certain setups. Additionally, it is noted that there is no fixed boundary between the two worlds and quantum mechanics applies to all systems.
Nikola Kolev
Hi guys!
My question is kinda stupid and I'm new here so:
At the border between the quantum and classics worlds how E=mc^2 works?
Like in which states you'll have quantum tunnelling, in which just the classic classical way of not passing the barrier (I do not mean classic/quantum world) and when some kinda of other state in unnatural energy comparisons with the barrier and the particle? I would be glad to receive a mathematical fulfilled explanation. I hope for all kind of replies but hopefully from experienced people. I don't have any physics degree I'm just a student with passion. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
E=mc2 gives you the total energy of an object with mass m at rest, both in classical physics and in quantum mechanics. In many setups this energy is not relevant at all.

Quantum mechanics applies to all systems (at least no one ever found an exception), for large objects the classical description gives a very good approximation. There is no fixed boundary.

Thanks

1. What is the meaning of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is an equation that represents the relationship between energy (E), mass (m), and the speed of light (c). It shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into each other.

2. Who came up with E=mc^2?

The famous equation was derived by Albert Einstein in 1905 as part of his theory of special relativity.

3. How is E=mc^2 used in science?

E=mc^2 is used in various branches of science, including nuclear physics, astrophysics, and chemistry. It helps scientists understand the relationship between mass and energy and has led to advancements in areas such as nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.

4. Can E=mc^2 be applied to everyday life?

While the equation is typically used in scientific research, its principles can be seen in everyday life. For example, the sun's energy is produced through the conversion of mass into energy, and nuclear power plants use the same process to generate electricity.

5. Is E=mc^2 still relevant today?

Yes, E=mc^2 is still a fundamental equation in modern physics. It has been proven to be accurate through numerous experiments and continues to be used in various fields of study. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe.