Mass sliding on frictionless inclined plane compresses a spring

In summary: Thank you so much for the help!In summary, a body with mass m starts from rest and slides along a frictionless inclined plane, forming an angle β with the horizontal. After sliding a distance d, the mass touches the extremity of a non-compressed and non-stretched spring with no mass. The mass then slides a distance x until coming to a momentary rest due to the compression of the spring (with constant k). The initial separation d between the body and the spring can be found by conserving energy and solving for d, which is equal to (kx^2)/(2mgsinβ) - x. The distance d depends on the angle of incline, β.
Nacho Verdugo

Homework Statement

A body with mass m start from repose and slide along a plane without friction. The plane forms an angle with the horizontal. After sliding a distance d unknown, the mass touches the extremity of a spring non compressed and non stretched with no mass. The mass slides a distance x until a momentary rest by the compression of the spring (of constant k). Find the initial separation d between the body and the extremity of the spring.

Homework Equations

So first, I tried to translate this exercise from Portuguese, so if some words doesn't make sense, I'm sorry!

The doubts I have is where to define the highness at zero. I tried to put z=0 at the moment when the mass compress the spring, in the momentary rest. Then I used conservation of energy and obtained the following result:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Energy A (when the mass start to slides):

E=mg(d+x)sinβ

Energy B (when the mass compress the spring):

E=½kx^2

Considering that there's no friction
E_A=E_B

and I obtain that the distance d equals to:

d=½kx(x-1)

Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Nacho Verdugo and welcome to PF
:welcome:

Nacho Verdugo said:
and I obtain that the distance d equals to:

d=½kx(x-1)
The idea is correct. Can you show how you got the answer? It should depend on the angle of the incline β.

Likes Nacho Verdugo
kuruman said:
Hi Nacho Verdugo and welcome to PF
:welcome:The idea is correct. Can you show how you got the answer? It should depend on the angle of the incline β.
Hi! So, I just had second thoughts about what I post. The idea is to conserve the energy, right? So the energy in A is : mg(d+x)sinβ and the energy in B is :½kx^2. Conserving the energy I obtain:

mg(d+x)sinβ=½kx^2
⇒ mgdsinβ + mgxsinβ = ½kx^2
⇒ mdgsinβ = ½kx^2 - mgxsinβ
⇒ d= (kx^2)/(2mgsinβ)-x

I think in this solution the distance depends of the incline!

Nacho Verdugo said:
Hi! So, I just had second thoughts about what I post. The idea is to conserve the energy, right? So the energy in A is : mg(d+x)sinβ and the energy in B is :½kx^2. Conserving the energy I obtain:

mg(d+x)sinβ=½kx^2
⇒ mgdsinβ + mgxsinβ = ½kx^2
⇒ mdgsinβ = ½kx^2 - mgxsinβ
⇒ d= (kx^2)/(2mgsinβ)-x

I think in this solution the distance depends of the incline!

That looks good.

Last edited:
Likes Nacho Verdugo
Moderator note: Changed thread title to be descriptive of the problem: "Mass sliding on frictionless inclined plane compresses a spring"

PeroK said:
That looks good.

But shouldn't it be $$d=\frac {kx^2} {2mgsinθ}$$? Why did you take into account x? The displacement x is traveled by both spring and box, so it is not necessary to add x to equation. Think about the moment that the box touches the spring, until that moment the box's energy will have been changed mgdsinθ and it will transfer this energy to the spring.Thus, it should be $$ mgdsinθ =\frac 1 2(kx^2)$$ and we obtain $$ d=\frac {kx^2} {2mgsinθ} $$

Is there anything I missed?

mastermechanic said:
But shouldn't it be $$d=\frac {kx^2} {2mgsinθ}$$? Why did you take into account x? The displacement x is traveled by both spring and box, so it is not necessary to add x to equation. Think about the moment that the box touches the spring, until that moment the box's energy will have been changed mgdsinθ and it will transfer this energy to the spring.Thus, it should be $$ mgdsinθ =\frac 1 2(kx^2)$$ and we obtain $$ d=\frac {kx^2} {2mgsinθ} $$

Is there anything I missed?

You missed that the box continues to lose gravitational PE as it compresses the spring, for the distance ##x##.

PeroK said:
You missed that the box continues to lose gravitational PE as it compresses the spring, for the distance ##x##.

But you missed as well that the lost gravitational PE is already being transferred in the moment.

Edit: I've just got it by thinking last position of them. There is no problem it should be $$ d=\frac {kx^2} {2mgsinθ} - x $$

Last edited:

What is a frictionless inclined plane?

A frictionless inclined plane is a theoretical surface with no resistance or friction that allows objects to slide down it without slowing down.

How does a mass sliding on a frictionless inclined plane compress a spring?

As the mass slides down the inclined plane, it gains potential energy. When it reaches the bottom, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the mass to compress the spring.

What is the relationship between the angle of the inclined plane and the compression of the spring?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the compression of the spring. This is because a steeper angle results in a greater gain in potential energy for the mass.

Is the compression of the spring affected by the mass of the object?

Yes, the compression of the spring is affected by the mass of the object. A heavier object will have more potential energy as it slides down the inclined plane, resulting in a greater compression of the spring.

Why is it important to have a frictionless surface for this experiment?

A frictionless surface ensures that the only force acting on the mass is gravity, allowing for a more accurate measurement of potential and kinetic energy. If there was friction, it could cause the mass to slow down and decrease the compression of the spring.