Mass submerged in oil and scales problem

In summary, the problem involves a beaker containing oil and a block of iron suspended in the oil. The equilibrium readings of both scales must be determined using the sum of forces equations and taking into account the buoyant force and the weight of the objects. The volume of the iron must also be considered, as it is not floating and therefore its density must be taken into account.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

A 1.02 kg beaker containing 1.98 kg of oil (density = 916.0 kg/m3) rests on a scale. A 1.98 kg block of iron is suspended from a spring scale and completely submerged in the oil. Determine the equilibrium readings of both scales.

20fs568.gif

What does the top scale read?

What does the bottom scale read?

Homework Equations

Fbuoyant = ρ*g*Vdisplaced

Fg = mg

T = tension

The Attempt at a Solution

For the top scale I did the sum of the forces, therefore i get:

ƩF = T + Fbuoyant - mblock*g = 0

substituting buoyant force I get: T + ρoil*g*Vdisplaced - mg = 0

At first I thought I couldn't get the volume but then i figured since the density*volume = mass, that it would just be equal to mblock*g, however that would mean the T = 0 and the top scale reads zero. I do not believe this is the right answer however.

For the second part I also did sum of the forces for the beaker:

ƩF = Fbuoyant + mbeaker*g + moil*g = bottom scale reading.

solving for that i got 48.804 N, but that is also assuming Fbuoyant = mblock*g

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
At first I thought I couldn't get the volume but then i figured since the density*volume = mass, that it would just be equal to mblock*g, however that would mean the T = 0 and the top scale reads zero. I do not believe this is the right answer however.
Nicely analysed.

However - the iron (Fe) is not floating.
##F_{bouy}=\rho_{oil}V_{Fe}g## and ##\rho_{oil}V_{Fe}\neq m_{Fe}##

1. What is the purpose of submerging an object in oil?

The purpose of submerging an object in oil is to measure its density. When an object is submerged in oil, it displaces a certain amount of oil, which can be used to calculate the object's volume. Knowing the object's mass and volume, its density can be determined.

2. How does the presence of scales affect the density measurement?

The presence of scales can affect the density measurement by adding additional mass to the object. This can throw off the calculations and result in an inaccurate density measurement. It is important to ensure that the object is completely free of any foreign materials, such as scales, before conducting the experiment.

3. Can any type of oil be used for this experiment?

No, not all types of oil are suitable for this experiment. The oil used should have a known density and should not react with the object being measured. A common type of oil used for this experiment is mineral oil.

4. How does the density of the oil affect the accuracy of the measurement?

The density of the oil does not affect the accuracy of the measurement as long as it is known and consistent. However, using an oil with a lower density can make it easier to measure the displaced volume of oil, resulting in a more accurate measurement.

5. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment include air bubbles trapped on the surface of the object, inaccurate measuring of the volume of displaced oil, and the presence of foreign materials on the object being measured. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to minimize the impact of these errors.