Mass vs. Weight in space questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment that measured mass and weight of eight objects using a triple beam balance and a spring scale. The experiment is then discussed in the context of being performed on the moon instead of Earth, and it is determined that while the mass of each object would change, the weight would remain the same. The slope and equation in the weight vs. mass graph would also change due to the change in mass. The concept of mass and weight are clarified, with weight being dependent on gravity while mass remains constant.
Lides2011
The lab that we did measured mass vs. weight. We took eight objects and found that mass using the triple beam balance (units in Kg) and the found the weight using a spring scale (units in Newtons)

Homework Statement

Assume that this experiement had been performed on the moon istead on on Earth. Decide which of the following quantities would have the same values and which would be different. Discuss either why that quantity would not change, or if it would chamge, how it would be different and why?

Homework Equations

The mass of each object:

The weight of each object:

The slope of the weight vs. mass graph:

Theequation relating mass and weight:

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass: I said the mass would change because a triple beam balance relies on gravity, therefore, it would not work on the moon.

The weight: it would not change bc it does not rely on gravity

The slope of the weight vs. mass graph: I calculated the slope to be 11.43 using two points on my graph, and I think it would chamge because the mass would change, as I said above.

The equation relating mass and weight: My equation was y=11.43x there was no y intercept because we started the line at the origin. So I think the equation would change because the slope would change.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to re-think your definition of mass and weight. What defines mass and what defines weight?

I believe that you have your two definitions of mass and weight switched around. Mass is the same wherever you go. Weight = mass*gravity. The moon has less gravity and thus the weight would be less.

1. What is the difference between mass and weight in space?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. In space, there is no gravity, so an object's mass does not change, but its weight would be zero.

2. Can an object have weight without having mass in space?

No, an object must have mass in order to have weight. Weight is dependent on mass and the force of gravity, so without mass, there would be no weight.

3. How is weight measured in space?

In space, weight is measured using a scale that takes into account the gravitational pull of nearby objects, such as planets or moons. This measurement is also referred to as the object's weight in a specific gravitational field.

4. Does an object's weight change as it moves through different regions in space?

Yes, an object's weight will change as it moves through different regions in space because the strength of gravity varies depending on the object's distance from other massive objects. This can cause fluctuations in an object's weight.

5. Why is mass more important than weight in space travel?

Mass is more important than weight in space travel because it is the measure of an object's inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. In space, where there is no air resistance, an object's mass determines how much fuel is needed to accelerate or decelerate it, making it a crucial factor in space travel.