Mastering Naming Hydrocarbons: Tips and Tricks for Homework Assignments

• Thread starter toothpaste666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hydrocarbon
In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct answer for a chemistry problem involving naming a compound. The problem involves identifying the longest chain of carbon atoms and attaching branches to it. The conversation ends with the clarification that the correct answer is C, as there was a typo in the original post.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

chemproblem.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is supposed to be D but I can't figure out why, my method gave me B
counting the number of points in the longest chain there are 7 and there are only single bonds so without the branches I have heptane. there is a ethyl attached to the second point and a methyl attached to the fourth and fifth point so it should be 2-ethyl-4,5-dimethylheptane

Physics news on Phys.org
The longest chain follows the "upwards branch" and has 8 atoms.

Likes toothpaste666
i get it now. thank you

The correct answer is C.

Likes toothpaste666
woops that was a typo in the original post. The answer key has it listed as C

1. What are hydrocarbons?

Hydrocarbons are organic compounds composed of hydrogen and carbon atoms. They are the main components of fossil fuels such as oil, gas, and coal.

2. Why is it important to master naming hydrocarbons?

Naming hydrocarbons is essential for understanding their chemical structures and properties. It also allows us to accurately communicate and identify different hydrocarbon molecules in various scientific fields.

3. What are some tips for naming hydrocarbons?

Some tips for naming hydrocarbons include understanding the naming rules and conventions, practicing regularly, and using mnemonic devices or memory tricks to help remember the different prefixes and suffixes.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when naming hydrocarbons?

Some common mistakes to avoid when naming hydrocarbons include forgetting to include all the necessary prefixes and suffixes, using incorrect prefixes or suffixes, and not following the correct order of prefixes when naming branched hydrocarbons.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help with naming hydrocarbons?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available to help with naming hydrocarbons, such as interactive naming practice exercises, naming guides and charts, and online tutorials and videos. Your teacher or professor may also have additional resources or materials to aid in mastering naming hydrocarbons.