Mastering the Physics of Table Tennis: Understanding Forces and Flight Dynamics

In summary, the video discusses what forces are involved in table tennis, and how they work. The forces include the drag force, the magnus force, and gravity. The video also discusses how to solve for the position and velocity of a ball in flight using the equations of motion.
timetraveller123
i was watching a video of physics of table tennis

and got interested to work it out for myself

forces to be considered

quadratic drag force
magnus force
gravity

m : mass of the ball
v : velocity of the ball
w : angular velocity of the ball(assuming for simplicity not changing during the fllight)
r : radius of the ball
##\rho## : density of air
g : gravitational acceleration
A cross sectional area of ball force on the ball

##
-mg \hat j\\
\frac{c_d A \rho v^2}{2}\text {opposite to direction of velocity }\\
\frac{1}{2}{c_m \rho A v^2 \hat w \times \hat v}\\
##
through out the flight the direction of magnus force and drag force are constantly changing and that is giving me some trouble setting up the f = ma differential equation
i plan to break the forces down into their vertical and horizontal forces and set up two differential equation to get y(t) and x(t) can it be done please help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equations will be coupled, and in general there is no proper analytic solution even without Magnus force.
You can always calculate numerical solutions, of course.

Likes timetraveller123
i realized it would be coupled differential but how do i get to that please guide me to get the equation

and why do say there would be no analytic solution?

vishnu 73 said:
i realized it would be coupled differential but how do i get to that please guide me to get the equation
Put the three equations you have already into a single formula ##m \vec a = ## and you are done. In general you have three coordinates to consider, as the ball can have side-spin (##\omega## along the vertical axis).
vishnu 73 said:
and why do say there would be no analytic solution?
That's life. Analytic solutions for real problems are rare.

then why it that in the video she just plugged the forces into the Lagrangian and got somewhat a analytical solution i didn't understand what she was doing at the last part
firstly i thought the Lagrangian cannot be used when there is non-conservative force here the drag and magnus is non conservative
secondly my understanding of the langrangian is that
##
L = T - U
##
in the video she just plugged in the forces instead of the energies into the lagrangian

An analytic solution for the position as function of time? Where? She gets the equations of motion, and then goes to numerical simulations.
Where do you see a Lagrangian?

She plugged in forces in ma=F.

wait what so the equation of motion is only at one instant in time

at 5:27 she starts using the langrangian and i think what follows is the euler lagrange
isn't that the lagrangian

The equation of motion gives you the acceleration at every point in time if you know the velocity at this time.

@5:27: Sort of, but as far as I can see it is only used to motivate the equation of motion, not for calculations.

1. What are the key forces involved in table tennis?

The key forces involved in table tennis are gravity, air resistance, and friction. Gravity pulls the ball towards the ground, while air resistance and friction affect the ball's movement through the air and its bounce on the table.

2. How do these forces affect the flight of the ball?

Gravity affects the trajectory of the ball, causing it to drop towards the ground. Air resistance slows down the ball's speed and can also cause it to curve. Friction between the ball and the table can affect how the ball bounces and spins.

3. How can understanding these forces improve my table tennis game?

By understanding these forces, you can better anticipate the movement of the ball and adjust your shots accordingly. For example, you can use topspin to counteract the effects of air resistance and gravity, or use backspin to cause the ball to bounce lower and closer to the net.

4. What is the role of Newton's laws of motion in table tennis?

Newton's laws of motion explain the relationship between forces and motion, and they apply to table tennis as well. For example, the first law states that an object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force, which is why you have to use a force (your paddle) to hit the ball. The second law explains how the force you apply affects the ball's acceleration, and the third law states that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, which is why the ball bounces off the paddle.

5. Are there any other factors besides forces that influence the game of table tennis?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence the game of table tennis. These include the type and quality of the equipment used, the skill and strategy of the players, and environmental factors such as air temperature and humidity. These factors can all affect the flight of the ball and should be taken into consideration when playing table tennis.