A Question about the Problem of the Week at Harvard

In summary, the change of momentum is not used to calculate the velocity of a tennis ball after it has collided with a basketball because the tennis ball would receive an impulse from both the basketball and the car.
bubblewrap
I found a set of question from Harvard here;
https://www.physics.harvard.edu/academics/undergrad/problems [URL repaired by a mentor]
I solved the Week 1 problem like this;
The basketball would fall to the floor, because the collision is elastic the velocity will change from -v to v (where v is \\sqrt{2gh}\. There for the change of momentum is \(2Mv\) (where M is the mass of the basketball).

The tennis ball therefore would have the sum of the change of momentum which would be
\2Mv+2mv\, and tennis ball's velocity would satisfy the equation
\2Mv+2mv=mv+m{v}'\ (when the tennis ball's velocity after collision is \-{v}'\)

According to this \{v}'\ should be \\frac{(2M+m)\sqrt{2gh}}{m}\
and further calculation tells me that h equals \(\frac{2M+m}{m})^{2}h\

If you take a look at the solution (on the right hand side) you would find out that this is wrong, what did I do wrong in solving this problem? Why can't the change of momentum be used?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bubblewrap said:
The tennis ball therefore would have the sum of the change of momentum
Why?
And what does that even mean?

I thought that the tennis ball should receive the impulse of the basketball as well as the impulse of itself. What I mean is that when the basketball bounces off the floor it's momentum changes because it received an impulse from the floor and the tennis ball, which would bounce off the basketball and also have a change in momentum would receive an impulse from the basketball but because the basketball received an impulse as well, the tennis ball would (probably) get the sum of those two momentum.

If you hit a resting tennis ball with a car, do you expect the car to transfer its full momentum to the tennis ball (and therefore stop)?

That would also violate energy conservation, by the way.

1. What is the Problem of the Week at Harvard?

The Problem of the Week at Harvard is a weekly challenge presented to students in various fields of study, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is designed to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills among students and is open to all undergraduate and graduate students at Harvard University.

2. How does the Problem of the Week work?

Each week, a new problem is posted on the official website of the Problem of the Week at Harvard. Students have one week to submit their solutions, which can be done individually or in teams. The solutions are then reviewed by a panel of faculty members, and the most creative and accurate solution is selected as the winner.

3. Who can participate in the Problem of the Week at Harvard?

The Problem of the Week is open to all undergraduate and graduate students at Harvard University. It is not limited to students in specific majors or fields of study, and anyone with an interest in problem-solving and critical thinking is encouraged to participate.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Problem of the Week at Harvard?

Participating in the Problem of the Week at Harvard can help students develop their critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. It also provides an opportunity for students to showcase their abilities and potentially win prizes or recognition for their solutions.

5. How can I stay updated on the Problem of the Week at Harvard?

The official website of the Problem of the Week at Harvard is regularly updated with new problems and winners. Students can also follow the official social media accounts for the Problem of the Week to stay updated on the latest challenges and announcements.