Material for Sealing: O-Rings & Shaft Seals for Marine Use

In summary, Pierre Sabiy recommended o-rings made from polymeric materials that are resistant to seawater and withstand temperatures of -32 ° to + 60 ° or -25 ° to + 60 °.
pierre.sabiy
Hello,
I would need help. Need help choosing the material for sealing: o-ring, shaft seal. They will use the equipment that will be installed on board a seagoing ship.
The conditions are:
- Resistant to seawater
- Withstand temperatures of -32 ° to + 60 ° or -25 ° to + 60 °
- And chemical resistant in gear, i grease, oil,
Bendzin, ...

For each of your advice thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For what sort of equipment do you need this seal material?

SteamKing said:
For what sort of equipment do you need this seal material?
It's the gearbox that will be 24 hours (thus still) installed on board naval ships.

pierre.sabiy said:
Hello,
I would need help. Need help choosing the material for sealing: o-ring, shaft seal. They will use the equipment that will be installed on board a seagoing ship.
The conditions are:
- Resistant to seawater
- Withstand temperatures of -32 ° to + 60 ° or -25 ° to + 60 °
- And chemical resistant in gear, i grease, oil,
Bendzin, ...

For each of your advice thank you.

Pierre,

Parker-Hannifin makes a wide variety of o-rings from different polymer materials. You can look at the properties of the various polymeric materials they use on their website:

http://parker.com/portal/site/PARKE...1127&vgnextcat=O-RING+ELASTOMERS&Wtky=O-RINGS

Likes GuruOfManufacturing
pierre.sabiy said:
It's the gearbox that will be 24 hours (thus still) installed on board naval ships.
Most of the reputable marine gear manufacturers already provide seals for their products.

I'm curious as to why you are doing something which should have already been done by the manufacturer.

Likes GuruOfManufacturing and billy_joule
This is not a marine gearbox. This gearbox is placed on board the ship (is not below deck).

pierre.sabiy said:
This is not a marine gearbox. This gearbox is placed on board the ship (is not below deck).
Navies are usually pretty careful about substituting non-marine equipment for items designed for use aboard ship.

I don't know what this exercise is all about, but I get the sense that there is a lot more to this story than you have shared...

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation. @pierre.sabiy -- send me a personal message with more information about this system, and information about what Navy contract you are working under.

1. What are O-rings and shaft seals used for in marine applications?

O-rings and shaft seals are used to prevent leaks and maintain a watertight seal in various components of marine equipment, such as engines, pumps, and propellers.

2. What materials are commonly used for O-rings and shaft seals in marine applications?

The most common materials used for O-rings and shaft seals in marine applications are rubber, silicone, and PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene). These materials are known for their durability, resistance to corrosion, and ability to withstand harsh marine environments.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size of O-ring or shaft seal for a specific application?

The size of an O-ring or shaft seal is determined by the inner diameter, outer diameter, and cross-sectional diameter of the component it will be used in. It is important to accurately measure these dimensions to ensure a proper fit and effective seal.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting O-rings and shaft seals for marine use?

When selecting O-rings and shaft seals for marine use, factors such as temperature, pressure, chemical compatibility, and exposure to UV radiation should be taken into consideration. It is also important to choose materials that can withstand the specific conditions of the marine environment.

5. How do you maintain and replace O-rings and shaft seals in marine equipment?

O-rings and shaft seals should be regularly inspected and replaced if they show signs of wear or damage. To maintain their effectiveness, they should also be lubricated with a compatible lubricant. When replacing them, it is important to use the correct size and material to ensure a proper seal and prevent potential leaks.