Materials: scientist vs engineering (research wise)

In summary: yes, back in the day, most material scientists were engineers. but now, many material scientists are in research and don't have a hands-on design experience.
Axe199
So, i am trying to decide between materials science or engineering, i understand the difference, and i am preferring engineering due to the better career perspective, specially that i am from a country where research isn't their first priority, but i am still very interesting in research and material design, so my question is : can a material engineer research and design materials like a material scientist or he doesn't have the required knowledge?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the engineer, and where he works.

For example: An engineering professor in materials would very probably be doing research into materials. An engineer for a company that builds bridges might not do very much research into materials, but might be reading a lot about new materials used for bridges. He might be doing a lot of testing of materials to determine if they will satisfy the requirements for a particular bridge design. Conceivably the bridge building company might be also developing new materials, but probably not. An engineer that worked for, say, a high-end steel producer, might be doing research into new alloys, surface treatments, etc. And probably all of them would be reading about new methods and materials that were related to their particular subjects.

Likes Axe199
DEvens said:
It depends on the engineer, and where he works.

For example: An engineering professor in materials would very probably be doing research into materials. An engineer for a company that builds bridges might not do very much research into materials, but might be reading a lot about new materials used for bridges. He might be doing a lot of testing of materials to determine if they will satisfy the requirements for a particular bridge design. Conceivably the bridge building company might be also developing new materials, but probably not. An engineer that worked for, say, a high-end steel producer, might be doing research into new alloys, surface treatments, etc. And probably all of them would be reading about new methods and materials that were related to their particular subjects.
So a material engineer does have the enough knowledge to conduct such research if the job requires it?

Where I went to grad school in the 1980's, the material sciences department and program was in the school of engineering. Two of my suitemates were material scientists. No one at the school considered them physicists, mathematicians or social scientists. At least back in the 1980's, material scientists were engineers. Isn't it still that way?

mpresic said:
Where I went to grad school in the 1980's, the material sciences department and program was in the school of engineering. Two of my suitemates were material scientists. No one at the school considered them physicists, mathematicians or social scientists. At least back in the 1980's, material scientists were engineers. Isn't it still that way?
well, as far as i know, now material scientist and engineers are 2 distinct things.

1. What is the difference between materials science and materials engineering?

Materials science focuses on the fundamental properties and structure of materials, while materials engineering applies this knowledge to design and create new materials for specific applications.

2. Which field has a more research-oriented approach?

Both materials science and materials engineering involve research, but materials science tends to have a more theoretical and fundamental research focus, while materials engineering often involves more applied research and development.

3. Can a scientist in one field work in the other?

Yes, there can be overlap between the two fields and scientists can often work in both materials science and materials engineering, depending on their specific research interests and goals.

4. What types of materials are typically studied by scientists and engineers?

Both materials science and materials engineering can involve the study of a wide range of materials, such as metals, ceramics, polymers, composites, and biomaterials.

5. How does research in materials science/engineering impact everyday life?

Research in materials science and engineering has a significant impact on everyday life, as it leads to the development of new materials with improved properties and functionality. Examples include stronger and lighter materials for transportation, more efficient solar cells, and advanced medical devices and implants.