The Big Bang and the original size of Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Big Bang and how it is not thought of as an explosion, but rather the universe coming into existence everywhere. The question is raised about whether the mass of the universe was coalesced into a single point and if the math can quantify this initial state. It is suggested that a new model may be needed to study the universe's density at this point. The conversation concludes with a recommendation for a book on modern cosmology for further understanding.
Martyn Arthur
TL;DR Summary
If the Universe occurred and expanded (plum pudding model say) how much 'space' did it occupy at the outset?
I am trying to understand / visualise, recognising that the Big Bang is not thought of as an explosion, how the Universe could have come into existence as a 'point' but came into existence 'everywhere'?
Is it a concept that such a point was then everywhere, and that the mass of the Universe, as is now, was coalesced into that point?
I am just in my first year of the physics degree and my maths does not extend to any great degree, but is it the case that the maths quantifies an opening situation?
Martyn

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Martyn Arthur

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a hot, dense point and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How do we know the Big Bang happened?

Scientists have gathered evidence from various fields, such as astronomy, physics, and cosmology, to support the Big Bang theory. This evidence includes the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the redshift of galaxies.

3. What was the original size of the universe?

The original size of the universe is difficult to determine, as the universe is constantly expanding. However, scientists estimate that the observable universe was about the size of a grapefruit just after the Big Bang.

4. How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is about 13.8 billion years. This age is based on measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion rate of the universe.

5. Did the universe have a beginning?

According to the Big Bang theory, the universe did have a beginning. However, it is still a topic of debate among scientists whether the universe will continue to expand forever or eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch."