Math for Engineering Minors: Diff. Eq. + Difficulty?

In summary, the individual is an electrical engineering major at Fenn College of Engineering and has passed several math classes with high grades. They are wondering how much more math they need for a minor, specifically if differential equations is required and if it is difficult. It ultimately depends on the individual's school and their specific requirements for a math minor. They may need to take more advanced level math classes to fulfill the 18 hour requirement. They are advised to contact their college's math minor program coordinator or their adviser for more information.
th3plan
I am currently an electrical engineering major at Fenn College of Engineering. I passes calculus 1 with b and calculus 2 with b and calculus 3 with a and linear algebra with A. Also took pre calculus if that counts. How much more math I need for minor besides differential equations? Also is that class difficult ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
also forgot to ask, will I physically get a degree like graduates get from college ?

It depends on your school. For example, in my school, none of those classes would count towards a math minor. You need 18 hours of 3000 level or higher math classes, and all of the classes you mentioned are 1000 or 2000 level.

As Monocles said, it really depends on your school. For example, for my math minor I need to take 5 classes (15 hours) out of my curriculum, which happened to be PDEs, Non-Linear Dynamics, Complex Variables, Probability, and Analysis I. Contact the person at your college who is in charge of the math minor program, or contact your adviser if you don't know what that is, and ask him/her about it.

Related to Math for Engineering Minors: Diff. Eq. + Difficulty?

1. What is the purpose of studying differential equations in engineering?

Differential equations are a fundamental tool in engineering that allow us to model and analyze complex systems. By studying differential equations, engineers can understand the behavior of systems in various conditions and make predictions about their performance.

2. Is differential equations considered a difficult subject for engineering minors?

Differential equations can be challenging for some students, but it is an important subject for engineering minors to understand. With dedication and practice, students can overcome the difficulties and gain a strong understanding of the subject.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations in engineering?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of engineering fields, such as mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include modeling the movement of fluids in pipes, predicting the behavior of electrical circuits, and analyzing the vibrations of structures.

4. How can I improve my understanding of differential equations for engineering?

Some ways to improve your understanding of differential equations for engineering include practicing problems regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors, and using online resources and textbooks for additional practice and explanations.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when studying differential equations for engineering?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when studying differential equations include not properly understanding the initial conditions, not using the correct method to solve a particular type of differential equation, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and seek clarification if you are unsure about any concepts.