Math Methods Vs. Analysis Track

In summary, the speaker is transferring to Cal in the fall for Engineering Physics and is deciding between two math tracks: math 121A/121B, which are mathematical methods courses for scientists and engineers, or math 104/185, which are real/complex analysis courses. They are planning to go to grad school for materials science and want to choose math courses that will prepare them for future courses in physics and materials science. While their advisors recommend the math methods track, they are wondering if not taking real/complex analysis will hinder their understanding of upper division/grad level material. The expert summarizer agrees with the advisors and notes that the topics covered in the math methods courses are more useful than real analysis, but suggests taking it for
Ethan Klein
Hi Everyone,

I am transferring to Cal in the fall for Engineering Physics and am currently deciding which math track to take. The first option is to enroll in math 121A/121B, which are mathematical methods courses for scientists and engineers (covers series, complex numbers/integration, PDE's, etc, in an applied manner). My other option is to enroll in math 104/185, which are real/complex analysis, respectively.

In the long run, I plan to go to grad school for materials science, primarily focussing on research in batteries and solid state devices. While I do enjoy pure mathematics, I want to enroll in math courses that will prepare me for what is to come in my junior and senior years and beyond (QM, E&M, Solid State, MatSci, etc). Among the profs and advisers I have spoken to, the general consensus is to go for the math methods track. However, I am curious to know if forgoing real/complex analysis will hamper me in any future courses (especially those that are math/physics related) and/or my understanding of upper div/grad level material?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Klein said:
Among the profs and advisers I have spoken to, the general consensus is to go for the math methods track.
I agree with your advisors. Also, in most cases your adviser will give you better advice than random people on the internet.

Ethan Klein said:
However, I am curious to know if forgoing real/complex analysis will hamper me in any future courses (especially those that are math/physics related) and/or my understanding of upper div/grad level material?
1 minute on Google tells me that the math 121 sequence covers complex analysis:
https://math.berkeley.edu/courses/fall-2019-math-121a-001-lec
The other topics covered in the math methods courses (integral transforms, PDEs, series solutions to ODEs and special functions, calculus of variations, etc) are way more useful than real analysis. However, once you have taken the math methods courses, if you still really want to learn real analysis and it fits in your schedule then you can go ahead and take it for fun. Just note that a real analysis course will not help with the vector calculus (or almost any other subject, for that matter) you will use in your upper division physics courses.

jason

1. What is the difference between the Math Methods and Analysis tracks?

The Math Methods track focuses on the application of mathematical techniques and methods to solve real-world problems, while the Analysis track focuses on the theoretical foundations and proofs of mathematical concepts.

2. Which track is better for someone interested in pursuing a career in research?

Both tracks can lead to a career in research, but the Analysis track may be more beneficial for those interested in pursuing advanced research in mathematics or related fields.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these tracks?

Yes, students are typically required to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and other core math courses before enrolling in either track.

4. Can I switch between tracks during my studies?

It is possible to switch between tracks, but it may require additional coursework and approval from the department. It is recommended to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of these tracks?

Graduates of both tracks can pursue careers in various fields such as data analysis, finance, engineering, and research. They may also continue their studies in graduate programs in mathematics or related fields.