Math olympiad basic number theory problem

In summary, number theory is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the properties of integers. A math olympiad is a prestigious international competition that tests problem-solving skills in various mathematical topics, including number theory. When approaching a basic number theory problem in a math olympiad, it is important to carefully read the problem, apply concepts and strategies learned in number theory, and use logical reasoning to solve it. Some common techniques used in solving number theory problems include prime factorization, modular arithmetic, divisibility rules, and number patterns and sequences. To improve skills in number theory for a math olympiad, one should practice solving various problems, attend workshops or classes, and discuss problems with others.
timetraveller123
so this is the question:
let a and b be real numbers such that 0<a<b. Suppose that a3 = 3a -1 and b3 = 3b -1. Find the value of b2 -a.
initially my line of thinking was that just solve the equation x3 - 3x +1 = 0
and take the roots which are more than 0 and then after that i got stuck

ok that was the question i also have the full worked solution to it but the thing is that i am almost 100% sure i wouldn't think of such a smart solution in the exam so i want some of you all to solve it post your method to see if anyone has different method.
if you want me to post the solution just ask me to post it below and i would gladly do so. but i am pretty sure many of you should have various other methods to this and no calculator is allowed on this exam and this meant for grade 9 and 10 so please don't use some super complicated methods thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here's how I did it. There are three roots of the equation, call these ##c, a, b##, where ##c## is the negative root. From the coefficients:

##c + a + b = 0## hence ##c = -(a+b)##

##ab + ac + bc = -3## hence (substituting ##c## above) ##a^2 + ab + b^2 = 3##

Now, if we let ##a = b^2 - \alpha## we get:

##b(b^3 + (1-2\alpha)b + (3-\alpha)) = 4 - \alpha^2##

Which has a solution of ##\alpha = 2##.

Likes fresh_42 and mfb
but if a = 2 then the equation a3 = 3a -1 is not satisfied

vishnu 73 said:
but if a = 2 then the equation a3 = 3a -1 is not satisfied

##\alpha = b^2 - a = 2##

wait your answer is correct this was the method provided
if t is a solution then t2 -2 is also one
then hence a , b , c = a2 -2 , b2 -2 , c2 then by matching the solution based on negative or positive then the answer follows
is this solution super hard to think of and by the way your solution is far more better at least some think i can think of

PeroK said:
Here's how I did it. There are three roots of the equation, call these ##c, a, b##, where ##c## is the negative root. From the coefficients:

##c + a + b = 0## hence ##c = -(a+b)##

##ab + ac + bc = -3## hence (substituting ##c## above) ##a^2 + ab + b^2 = 3##

Now, if we let ##a = b^2 - \alpha## we get:

##b(b^3 + (1-2\alpha)b + (3-\alpha)) = 4 - \alpha^2##

Which has a solution of ##\alpha = 2##.
i don't understand how you went from step 3 to 4
please help me thanks

vishnu 73 said:
i don't understand how you went from step 3 to 4
please help me thanks

Just a bit of algebra.

ya i tried it but not getting what you get pls show your working thanks because i like your method over the given one

vishnu 73 said:
ya i tried it but not getting what you get pls show your working thanks because i like your method over the given one

If ##a = b^2 - \alpha##, then what is ##a^2##?

b2 - a =x
i don't how to type your a so i used x instead

b2 - x =a
substituing in
(b2 - x)2 + (b2 -x)b + b2 = 3
x2 + b4 - 2b2x +b(b2 -x) + b2 =3
then where do you go from here

vishnu 73 said:
b2 - a =x
i don't how to type your a so i used x instead

b2 - x =a
substituing in
(b2 - x)2 + (b2 -x)b + b2 = 3
x2 + b4 - 2b2x +b(b2 -x) + b2 =3
then where do you go from here

The next step is:

##b^4 - 2b^2x + b^3-xb + b^2 = 3 - x^2##

Now use ##b^3 = 3b - 1##

Likes timetraveller123
ooh okay i will give it a try
ok i got how to get just realized how dumb i was sorry for that
b(b3 -b(1-2x) +3-x) = 4 - x2
but how do you solve it?

vishnu 73 said:
ooh okay i will give it a try
ok i got how to get just realized how dumb i was sorry for that
b(b3 -b(1-2x) +3-x) = 4 - x2
but how do you solve it?

I was trying to get a factor of ##b^3 - 3b + 1## and I saw that ##x=2## does that and solves the equation.

You have a sign wrong there. It should be:

##b(b^3 + b(1-2x) + 3-x) = 4-x^2##

oh you about the sign careless
but back to solving i noted that observation but how could you do it rigorously is there a method if there isn't i am okay with this method because it seems fair enough but if there is a method then please do tell me because the original solution has another method of letting b = 2sinΘ which i would never have thought of

vishnu 73 said:
oh you about the sign careless
but back to solving i noted that observation but how could you do it rigorously is there a method if there isn't i am okay with this method because it seems fair enough but if there is a method then please do tell me because the original solution has another method of letting b = 2sinΘ which i would never have thought of

The slow way is to solve the quadratic in ##x## and show, by whatever means, that ##x=2## is the only valid solution.

Likes timetraveller123
ooh okay i will give it a try and get back to you thanks but should i use b as the variable or x as the variable

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It primarily focuses on integers and their patterns and structures.

2. What is a math olympiad?

A math olympiad is a prestigious international competition for high school students that tests their problem-solving skills and mathematical knowledge. It usually consists of several rounds of challenging problems in various mathematical topics, including number theory.

3. How do I approach a basic number theory problem in a math olympiad?

First, read the problem carefully and try to understand the given information. Then, think about the concepts and strategies you have learned in number theory. Break down the problem into smaller parts and use logical reasoning to solve it. Finally, check your solution and make sure it satisfies all the given conditions.

4. What are some common techniques used in solving number theory problems?

Some common techniques used in solving number theory problems include prime factorization, modular arithmetic, divisibility rules, and number patterns and sequences. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of basic algebra and geometry concepts.

5. How can I improve my skills in number theory for a math olympiad?

To improve your skills in number theory, practice solving various problems from different sources, such as past math olympiad papers, textbooks, and online resources. Attend workshops or classes that focus on number theory and participate in mock competitions to gain experience. It is also beneficial to discuss problems and solutions with other students or mentors.