Math Tutoring for Electrical Engineers (EEs) Pre-Calc Level

• Thread starter jehan60188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutoring
In summary, as a part-time math tutor with an aspiring electrical engineering student as a client, it is recommended to focus on trigonometry, algebra, and geometry at the pre-calc level. Specific topics such as rudimentary matrix algebra, solving simultaneous equations, and fluency in polar to rectangular conversion should also be covered. Additional suggestions include studying Pythagoras and trigonometric identities, as well as becoming familiar with slide-rule techniques.
jehan60188
Hey all, I'm a part time math tutor, and have an aspiring EE as one of my clients. What kind of things should I focus on at the (pre-)calc level?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
jehan60188 said:
Hey all, I'm a part time math tutor, and have an aspiring EE as one of my clients. What kind of things should I focus on at the (pre-)calc level?
thanks!

Trigonometry, algebra, geometry. Particular trig.

thanks! any more suggestions?
specifics?

rudimentary matrix algebra , esp as applied to solving simultaneous equations

and i second the vote for trigonometry, pythagoras, trig identities
he'll need fluency in polar to rectangular conversion.. (which in my day was by slide-rule)

old jim

1. How can math tutoring benefit electrical engineering students at the pre-calculus level?

Math tutoring can help EEs at the pre-calculus level by providing them with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. This can lead to better understanding of advanced electrical engineering concepts and improved performance in coursework and exams.

2. What specific topics are covered in math tutoring for EEs at the pre-calculus level?

Math tutoring for EEs at the pre-calculus level typically covers topics such as algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and basic calculus. These topics are essential for understanding higher level electrical engineering concepts.

3. How can a math tutor help EEs who struggle with math?

A math tutor can provide individualized instruction and support to EEs who struggle with math. They can identify areas of weakness and provide targeted practice and explanations to help improve understanding and confidence in math.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in math to benefit from tutoring as an EE at the pre-calculus level?

No, you do not need to have a strong background in math to benefit from tutoring as an EE at the pre-calculus level. A tutor can work with you at your current level and help you build a strong foundation in math concepts.

5. How can I find a reliable and experienced math tutor for pre-calculus level tutoring for EEs?

You can ask for recommendations from your university, peers, or academic advisors. You can also search online for tutoring services that specialize in math for EEs at the pre-calculus level. It is important to research and read reviews to ensure you are choosing a qualified and experienced tutor.