Math vs Physics: Choosing a College Major

In summary, if you are a college freshman and you want to choose a major, you should major in either math or physics. However, it is important to be determined before you decide which one to pursue because you will not be able to succeed in either major without a lot of hard work.
set
(I know this has been discussed extensively, but please read my situation.)

Hello,

I will be a college freshman in this fall to begin my studies in the sciences. I have equal passion for both subjects so I am going to choose whichever I am better at. I have seen a number of threads in this forum and talked to my teachers. What they all suggested is to take both mathematics and physics courses and see how it goes. However, my school kinda separate those who want to be a mathematics major and those who want to be a physics major. (They offer two separate "proof" based and "physics" based courses and i must register for physics program during my first year) And I also want to be strongly determined before I begin my studies so I put all my attention to one, not contemplating which one to pursue.

I prefer understanding challenging concepts rather than solving challenging problems with some bright techniques.

What I like about mathematics is the logical progression of proofs but I don't see the tricks needed quickly unless I have seen them before. I feel enormous stress when looking at the IMO problems because I can't get any of them right.

What I like about physics is explaining physical phenomena using mathematics. Since there is rarely obsecure algebraic tricks involved in solving problems I feel much more comfortable, but I was never good at physics as I was at mathematics, at least in high school.

I am kinda leaning towards physics, but I feel like I am running away from mathematics because I was never good at contests. Should I major in physics?

Any word is really grateful for me in such a situation, thank you in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's common to do both. Other than that, take physics and math your first two years and see how you like it. The second year is when you will probably start taking "real" math courses.

I know a lot of people who were really bad in contests, but who succeeded in math after all. Being bad in competitions does not mean that you're bad in math. And it certainly doesn't mean that you will fail your major.

Just take math and physics courses and see what you like best.

Most people can't solve IMO questions without a very long time of training.
Most people can't solve more than half of them even after a very long time of training.
People who score 21 out of 42 in the contest win a silver medal.
Bottom line: IMO questions are supposed to be very very difficult.

More importantly, it is naive to do Physics instead of Maths because you think Physics is going to be easier. Go look up the questions in IPhO.
The same thing happens: You won't be able to solve any of them without a lot of hard work.

Just do what you think you'd like more and work hard.

Just so you know Physics problems sometimes do involve a lot of algebraic tricks, or require setting up a problem just so. My professor's always seemed to believe that a couple pages of algebra builds character. I don't know what experience you have with proofs, but my friends who majored in math and physics told me the computations in math are easier than those in Physics.

School is UCSC

Ans426 said:
Most people can't solve IMO questions without a very long time of training.
Most people can't solve more than half of them even after a very long time of training.
People who score 21 out of 42 in the contest win a silver medal.
Bottom line: IMO questions are supposed to be very very difficult.

More importantly, it is naive to do Physics instead of Maths because you think Physics is going to be easier. Go look up the questions in IPhO.
The same thing happens: You won't be able to solve any of them without a lot of hard work.

Just do what you think you'd like more and work hard.

My eyes just glaze over with IMO questions, the IPhO questions look marginally less intimidating, I still haven't solved any though..

1. What is the difference between math and physics as college majors?

The main difference between math and physics as college majors is the focus of study. Math is primarily concerned with abstract concepts and developing analytical and problem-solving skills, while physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Math majors may take courses in algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics, while physics majors study topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which major is more challenging?

Both math and physics can be challenging in their own ways. Math requires a strong foundation in algebra and a logical, analytical mindset. Physics, on the other hand, involves applying mathematical principles to real-world phenomena and requires a strong grasp of mathematical concepts. Ultimately, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests.

3. Which major has better job prospects?

Both math and physics majors have a wide range of job prospects. Math majors may find work in fields such as finance, data analysis, and computer science. Physics majors often pursue careers in engineering, research, and technology. Both majors also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in various fields.

4. Can I major in both math and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in math and physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. Some universities also offer joint majors in math and physics, which may be a more streamlined option for those interested in both subjects.

5. How do I choose between math and physics as a major?

The best way to choose between math and physics as a major is to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you enjoy abstract thinking and problem-solving, math may be a better fit. If you are fascinated by the laws and principles that govern the physical world, physics may be the right choice. It may also be helpful to talk to academic advisors and professors to gain a better understanding of each major's curriculum and potential career paths.