Mathematic Inductive Proof question

In summary: The product of two positive numbers is positive.In summary, for all integers n>=3, (n^2-3n+2) is positive can be proven using mathematical induction by showing that the base case (n=3) holds, and then assuming the induction hypothesis for an arbitrary n>=3 and showing that it holds for n+1. This can be simplified by showing that n^2 - n > 0, which is true for all n>=3.
dmitriylm

Homework Statement

Give a proof by Mathematical Induction of the following:

For all integers n>=3, (n^2 - 3n + 2) is positive.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, this is a problem from my discrete mathematics study guide. Here's what I got so far:

Proof: n-initial=3
Basis step: If n=3, then LHS=3 and RHS = (3^2 - 3(3) + 2) = 2 -> positive
Induction: Assume that (n^2 - 3n + 2) is positive for arbitrary n>=3

Now I'm not sure about how to actually go about the proof. I understand that we then show the induction hypothesis working for n+1 but I'm not sure how to put this together.

Something like: (n+1)^2 - 3(n+1) + 2 = n^2 - n...

EDIT: I see, so then using (n^2 - n) and plugging in 3 I get (3^2 - 3 = 6) which is equal to (4^2 - 3(4) + 2 = 6) -> positive. Would this be a complete proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that n2 - 3n + 2 > 0 . Now, show that (n+1)2 - 3(n+1) + 2 > 0 .

It may also be the case that you need to use the fact that n ≥ 3.

Well (n+1)^2 - 3(n+1) + 2 simplifies to n^2 - n.

How do I show that n^2 - n > 0 ?

n^2 - n > 0 <=> n^2 > n, and because your n is greater than or equal to 3, there is no case that shows n^2 < n, or even equal.

[itex]n^2- n= n(n- 1)[/itex].
n> 0 and, since [itex]n\ge 3[/itex], n-1> 0.

1. What is a mathematical inductive proof?

A mathematical inductive proof is a method of proving a statement or theorem in mathematics by showing that it holds true for a base case (usually the first number in a sequence) and then showing that if it holds true for any given number, it will also hold true for the next number in the sequence. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all numbers in the sequence.

2. How is a mathematical inductive proof different from other types of proofs?

A mathematical inductive proof is different from other types of proofs, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, because it relies on building a logical chain of reasoning from specific cases to a general conclusion. It is often used to prove statements about sequences, series, and patterns.

3. What are the steps involved in a mathematical inductive proof?

The steps involved in a mathematical inductive proof are:

1. Prove the statement for a base case (usually the first number in a sequence)
  2. Assume the statement holds true for any given number in the sequence
  3. Show that if the statement is true for a given number, it will also be true for the next number in the sequence
  4. Conclude that the statement is true for all numbers in the sequence by using mathematical induction.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include assuming that the statement is true for all numbers without proving it for the base case, using circular reasoning, and skipping steps in the induction process. It is important to carefully follow each step and ensure that the logic is sound throughout the proof.

5. When is a mathematical inductive proof useful?

A mathematical inductive proof is useful when trying to prove statements about sequences, series, and patterns. It is also helpful in proving statements about recursive functions and algorithms. Induction can also be used to prove inequalities and divisibility properties.