Where Can I Find Good Mathematica Programming Tutorials and Books?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter mzu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, Michael is looking for a good tutorial or book on programming in Mathematica, specifically for creating applications and GUI programming. He has already checked out "Mathematica demystified" and "Mathematica Navigator" and is now considering "Mathematica Cookbook." He has also received recommendations for other resources such as a website and a user group.
mzu
Hi everybody,

This is my first post in this forum. So, "Hello everybody" !
I hope someone can help me. I started to learn Mathematica a few weeks back and really like the software. I actually prefer it over Matlab but that's just my personal opinion.
I used 'Mathematica demystified' and 'Mathematica Navigator' to get started but search a good tutorial or book about programming in Mathematica. Mathematicas website has some great demonstration projects like radial engine, ... I can follow the source code used in these demo projects but look for tutorials or books which explains the programming and code of applications like these. I'm also looking for GUI programming.
I checked the help file of Mathematica which is great but some easy to understand book would be great.
Hope somebody can point me to a good book or tutorial.

Thanks a lot
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at
Mathematica Navigator: Mathematics, Statistics and Graphics (3rd edition)
or
Mathematica Cookbook (1st edition)
but, as far as I think anyone knows, nobody has written what would require an entire book just to describe gui programming and it appears this would change fairly substantially from one version of MMA to the next.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated !
I'll take a look at 'Mathematica Cookbook'. I didn't expect to find a whole book on GUI programming. The main interest is in programming "applications" as can be found on Mathematicas website. We'll see if the Mathematica Cookbook will help.

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the Mathematica community! There are many great resources available for learning Mathematica, from books to online tutorials. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the software and finding it preferable to Matlab.

In terms of books, I would recommend "Programming with Mathematica: An Introduction" by Paul Wellin. It covers the basics of programming in Mathematica and also includes a section on GUI programming. Another great resource is the official Mathematica documentation, which can be accessed through the "Help" menu in the software or online at the Wolfram Documentation Center.

If you prefer video tutorials, I would suggest checking out the "Wolfram U" channel on YouTube. They have a variety of tutorials on different aspects of Mathematica, including programming and GUI design.

I also recommend joining online communities like the Wolfram Community or Mathematica Stack Exchange, where you can ask questions and learn from other Mathematica users.

I hope this helps and happy learning!

1. What is Mathematica and why is it important?

Mathematica is a computer program used for mathematical and scientific calculations, data analysis, and programming. It is important because it allows scientists and researchers to efficiently perform complex calculations and visualize data, making it an essential tool for many fields of study.

2. Where can I find good Mathematica books or tutorials?

There are many resources for learning Mathematica, including books, online tutorials, and video courses. Some popular options include "Mathematica Cookbook" by Sal Mangano and "Hands-on Start to Wolfram Mathematica" by Cliff Hastings, Kelvin Mischo, and Michael Morrison.

3. Can I use Mathematica for statistical analysis?

Yes, Mathematica has a comprehensive set of statistical functions and tools for data analysis. It can handle a wide range of statistical tests, visualization, and modeling, making it a popular choice for researchers in various fields such as economics, psychology, and biology.

4. Is Mathematica suitable for beginners?

While Mathematica has a steep learning curve, it is suitable for beginners with no prior programming experience. The program has a user-friendly interface and provides helpful documentation and tutorials to help beginners get started.

5. Can Mathematica be used for creating interactive visualizations?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful visualization capabilities, including interactive 3D graphics and animations. These features make it an excellent tool for creating visually appealing and interactive visualizations for presentations, reports, and research papers.