Mathematica vs Maple: Which is Best for Maths?

In summary: Differentiate, integrate, factorise, complete the square, give results in exact form, all the basics, etc. - MapleMathematica has been used for more pure maths sort of tasks and Maple has been aimed at modelling and analysing data. - TraditionallyFor some Groebner basis type tasks, many practioners might give the edge to Maple. - I would have said that MATLAB is more likely to be used for many common modeling tasks, especially for large scale linear algebra problems.One important feature of Maple is that while this is not free-ware, the source code is freely available, which is of paramount importance to careful researchers. - Maple is free to use but source code is available
unique_pavadrin
i hope i got this in the right forum...if not sorry
i was in the market for a mathematical software that would be able to just about anything related to maths (differentiate, integrate, factorise, complete the square, give results in exact form, all the basics, etc.) i am familiar with Mathematica, however some people have suggested that i use Mapel. Which would you recommend and why?
Many thannks
unique_pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Traditionally Mathematica has been used for more pure maths sort of tasks and Maple has been aimed at modelling and analysing data. Both are very good but with their own quirks.
Check the price of the respective licenses!

thanks for the reply. mathematic 6 seems to best suit my needs

This question is a FAQ.

differentiate, integrate, factorise, complete the square, give results in exact form, all the basics, etc.

Actually, if that's all you need, the open source and freely available package maxima will do fine. Maple and maxima "have a common ancestor", by the way, so their syntax is similar.

mgb_phys said:
Traditionally Mathematica has been used for more pure maths sort of tasks and Maple has been aimed at modelling and analysing data.

For some Groebner basis type tasks, many practioners might give the edge to Maple. I would have said that MATLAB is more likely to be used for many common modeling tasks, especially for large scale linear algebra problems.

One important feature of Maple is that while this is not free-ware, the source code is freely available, which is of paramount importance to careful researchers. I know quite a few people who have been bitten by mysterious Mathematica bugs, although to be fair, all complicated software packages have bugs. For this reason, careful researchers will try to maintain proficiency in at least two general purpose symbolic computation packages, and to check results one against the other. With some awkwardness it is possible to port data between Maple and Mathematica; e.g. Maple has a tool which converts Mathematica routines to Maple routines.

OTH, everyone who has used both will probably agree that Mathematica has more attractive plotting (e.g. when preparing figures for a published paper).

mgb_phys said:
Both are very good but with their own quirks.

Agreed.

It might be worth mentioning that there are many excellent packages available for specialized computations, e.g. group theory or algebraic geometry. Some of these run under Mathematica or Maple; others are powerful symbolic computation systems in their own right (e.g. GAP, Macaulay2, Singular).

Last edited:

What is Mathematica and Maple?

Mathematica and Maple are both mathematical software programs used for solving complex mathematical problems and performing symbolic computations.

What are the main differences between Mathematica and Maple?

The main difference between Mathematica and Maple is their approach to solving mathematical problems. Mathematica is based on a functional programming language and uses a high-level syntax, while Maple uses a traditional procedural programming language. Additionally, Mathematica has a more user-friendly interface and offers built-in algorithms for a wide range of mathematical problems, while Maple requires the user to write custom code for each problem.

Which program is better for mathematical visualization?

Both Mathematica and Maple have strong visualization capabilities, but Mathematica is generally considered to be better for 3D graphics and animations. Maple, on the other hand, is better for creating 2D graphs and plots.

Which program is better for learning advanced mathematics?

This depends on personal preference and the specific field of mathematics being studied. Mathematica may be better for those with a background in computer science or programming, while Maple may be better for those with a background in traditional mathematics. Both programs have a steep learning curve for advanced mathematics, but offer a wide range of resources and documentation for self-learning.

Which program is more widely used in academia and industry?

Both Mathematica and Maple are widely used in academic and industrial settings, with Mathematica being more commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, while Maple is more commonly used in mathematics and economics. Ultimately, the choice between the two programs depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user.