Mathematical formulation of local non-realism

In summary, the conversation discusses Bell's formulation of local realism and its adaptation for theories that are either realistic or local. It also delves into the idea of non-realistic interpretations and how they view correlations between spatially separated measurements. It is suggested that in order to agree with QM predictions, one would need to describe everything on the other side as a unitary time evolution and only use projective measurements when they meet or communicate over a classical channel. The concept of solipsism in relation to hardcore non-realism is also mentioned.
greypilgrim
Hi.

Bell formulated local realism as follows: The probability of a coincidence between separated measurements of particles with correlated (e.g. identical or opposite) orientation properties can be written as
$$P(a,b)=\int{d\lambda\cdot \rho(\lambda)\cdot p_A(a,\lambda)\cdot p_B(b,\lambda)}\enspace .$$

To get a better understanding of the terms "local" and "realistic", I'm trying to adapt this formula. So I'd say a theory that realistic, but not necessarily local, would satisfy
$$P(a,b)=\int{d\lambda\cdot \rho(\lambda)\cdot p_{AB}(a,b,\lambda)}\enspace ,$$
i.e. ##p_{AB}(a,b,\lambda)## is not necessarily a product distribution. As far as I can see quantum expectation values satisfy this probability distribution.

How would this formula look like for a nonrealistic (or not necessarily realistic), but local theory? Or is local realism not something that can be split up into locality and realism?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##a## and ##b## are spatially separated, then, according to the local non-realistic interpretation, there is no such thing as ##P(a,b)##. Namely, there is no single observer who can measure ##P(a,b)##, and things which nobody measures don't exist according to non-realistic interpretations.

If ##a## and ##b## are not spatially separated and a single observer measures both ##a## and ##b##, then, according to the same interpretation,
$$P(a,b)=p_{AB}(a,b)$$
which is almost a tautology.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Demystifier said:
If aa and bb are spatially separated, then, according to the local non-realistic interpretation, there is no such thing as P(a,b)P(a,b). Namely, there is no single observer who can measure P(a,b)P(a,b), and things which nobody measures don't exist according to non-realistic interpretations.
So in this interpretation it's not allowed that both observers make individual, spatially separated measurements and then construct ##P(a,b)## by comparing their results locally at a later time?

Do both observers need to assume the other one stays in a superposition until they compare their results over a classical channel?

greypilgrim said:
So in this interpretation it's not allowed that both observers make individual, spatially separated measurements and then construct ##P(a,b)## by comparing their results locally at a later time?
It's allowed, but then the observables that are really compared are no longer spatially separated. According to non-realistic interpretations, there is no correlation until one observes the correlation.

greypilgrim said:
Do both observers need to assume the other one stays in a superposition until they compare their results over a classical channel?
In non-realistic interpretations (I am not a proponent of such interpretations, I just explain what such interpretations are), you don't assume anything about things which you don't observe.

Demystifier said:
In non-realistic interpretations (I am not a proponent of such interpretations, I just explain what such interpretations are), you don't assume anything about things which you don't observe.
But in order to agree with experimentally verifiable QM predictions, observer ##A## needs a way to compute the correlations ##P(a,b)## that ##A## and ##B## will find when they later compare their measurements locally. So will he describe everything on ##B##'s side as a unitary time evolution (i.e. with local Hamiltonians) and only use projective measurements when they meet (or talk over a classical channel)?

If I was a hardcore non-realist, would I need to assume I'm the only one in the whole universe capable of making QM measurements and everything else evolutes unitarily?

greypilgrim said:
But in order to agree with experimentally verifiable QM predictions, observer ##A## needs a way to compute the correlations ##P(a,b)## that ##A## and ##B## will find when they later compare their measurements locally. So will he describe everything on ##B##'s side as a unitary time evolution (i.e. with local Hamiltonians) and only use projective measurements when they meet (or talk over a classical channel)?
Yes, exactly.

greypilgrim said:
If I was a hardcore non-realist, would I need to assume I'm the only one in the whole universe capable of making QM measurements and everything else evolutes unitarily?
That would be a kind of solipsism, and yes, I also think that hardcore non-realism leads to solipsism. See also
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1112.2034

1. What is the definition of local non-realism?

Local non-realism is a philosophical position that rejects the idea of a single objective reality and instead holds that reality is constructed through individual perspectives and experiences. It also rejects the notion that there is a universal truth or set of laws that govern reality.

2. How is mathematical formulation used in local non-realism?

Mathematical formulation is used in local non-realism as a tool for understanding and describing the subjective nature of reality. It allows for the exploration of different perspectives and how they shape our understanding of the world. Mathematical models can also be used to represent and analyze multiple, potentially conflicting, viewpoints.

3. What are the key principles of local non-realism?

The key principles of local non-realism include the rejection of a single, objective reality, the importance of individual perspectives and experiences, and the understanding that reality is constructed through these perspectives. It also emphasizes the role of subjectivity in shaping our understanding of reality.

4. How does local non-realism differ from other philosophical positions?

Local non-realism differs from other philosophical positions, such as realism and idealism, in its rejection of a single, objective reality. It also differs from relativism in that it does not claim that all perspectives are equally valid, but rather acknowledges the importance of individual perspectives while accepting that some may be more accurate than others.

5. What are the implications of local non-realism for scientific research?

The implications of local non-realism for scientific research are that it challenges traditional notions of objectivity and universal truth. It suggests that scientific findings are not absolute, but are instead influenced by the perspectives and biases of the researchers. This can lead to a more nuanced and critical approach to scientific research, as well as a greater understanding of the limitations and potential biases of scientific knowledge.