Mathematician Turning to Physics Research

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic background in mathematics and their interest in pursuing a PhD in a field that combines both mathematics and physics. They inquire about the relevance of various areas of mathematics, such as Lie Theory and Differential Geometry, to current research in physics and ask for suggestions on hot areas of research for a potential PhD project. Another participant mentions the potential connection between Lie groups and string theory, but acknowledges that the relevance of different areas of mathematics can change as more data is collected.
DogCow
From Mathematics to Physics

Hey Everyone,

I've recently completed a BA and MSc in Mathematics at a great university. I've mostly been an Algebraist for the last four years and I've been successful so studying for a PhD would certainly be an option. While I still consider myself to be mostly a mathematician, I've always held an interest in Physics and I like the idea of working with problems in Mathematics that come from questions in Physics.

I understand that Lie Theory (which I love) is relevant to Particle Physics and that Differential Geometry is important in cosmology, but excluding these, I don't know what is relevant to current research. Quantum Groups? Symplectic Geometry? Representation theory? What are some hot areas of research that would make a good PhD project?

Thanks (and sorry for asking such a broad question).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would love to know how Lie groups connect with physics.

*no sarcasm.

Dogcow you could do research in any area connected to string theory. The thing is, no one knows what area of math is going to be relevant until the experimenters and phenomenologists provide more data.

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you have a strong background in mathematics and are interested in exploring the field of physics research. I can assure you that there is a lot of overlap between mathematics and physics, and many exciting research opportunities await you in this field.

In terms of specific areas of research, it really depends on your interests and strengths. As you mentioned, Lie Theory, Differential Geometry, and Representation Theory are all relevant to physics research, but there are also many other areas that are currently being explored. For example, Symplectic Geometry is being used in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, while Quantum Groups are being applied to the study of quantum gravity and topological phases of matter.

Some hot areas of research that you may want to consider for your PhD project include quantum information theory, condensed matter physics, and astrophysics. These fields offer a wide range of interesting problems that require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. Additionally, there is currently a lot of research being done in the intersection of mathematics and artificial intelligence, which could also be a potential area of interest for you.

I would recommend doing some further research and reading in these areas to see which topics align with your interests and skills. And don't worry about asking a broad question – it's always better to ask and learn more about a topic than to not ask at all. Good luck in your future endeavors in physics research!

Related to Mathematician Turning to Physics Research

1. What inspired you to shift from mathematics to physics research?

I have always been fascinated by the connections between mathematics and physics. As I delved deeper into mathematics, I realized that many of the mathematical concepts I was studying had direct applications in physics. This curiosity and interest ultimately led me to pursue research in physics.

2. How do you think your background in mathematics helps in your physics research?

My background in mathematics gives me a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking. It also allows me to approach physics problems from a unique perspective, often finding solutions or connections that may not be immediately apparent to someone without a mathematics background.

3. What are some key differences between mathematical research and physics research?

While both fields involve rigorous problem-solving and theoretical analysis, mathematical research tends to focus more on abstract concepts and proofs, whereas physics research involves applying mathematical concepts to real-world phenomena and experiments.

4. Can you give an example of a recent project or discovery in your physics research?

One of my recent projects involved developing a mathematical model to explain the behavior of quantum particles in a specific type of material. Through this research, we were able to gain a better understanding of how these particles interact and potentially pave the way for new technological advancements.

5. What advice would you give to someone interested in pursuing a similar career path?

I would advise them to continue developing their skills in both mathematics and physics, as a strong foundation in both fields is essential for success in this type of research. It is also important to stay curious and open-minded, as breakthroughs in science often come from unexpected places.